Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gary Fisher Marlin 29 SS – pants or not?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Does anyone have one of these yet? I guess it is an updated version of the old Rig. At £450 complete bike it looks a steal.

Ride it until components fall apart, replace with better bits and bobs and the job's a good 'un.

geoffj

Looks OK ish for the money. Not as well specced as the rig, and looks like they've done away with the EBB. Might be tempted!

MrTall
    Free Member

According to the Chevin website, it still has the EBB. Was surprised to see it has suspension forks at that price – i was expecting fully rigid.

Worth a punt i'd say and ripe for upgrades as and when needed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Was surprised to see it has suspension forks at that price – i was expecting fully rigid.

I suspect fully rigid (with a decent carbon fork) would be a better proposition than the suntour jobbie they have specced.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have Suntour Epicons on my On One and they've been very good so far. I suspect that they are slightly better than the ones specced on the Marlin though.

slowjo
    Free Member

The problem is finding a Trek dealer who has one in and lives within an hours drive. Trek won't allow dealers to post bikes, they have to be set up and ready to ride (apparently) otherwise they lose their licence.

The Trek website is pants, I rang up all the "dealers" in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire and none of them were Trek dealers any more or failing that they only carried a limited range and wouldn't get a bike in for me.

There is one just south of Cambridge but they can't get any until the end of October whereas Chevin seem to have them in stock. I'm not driving 3 to 4 hours each way for a £450 bike though.

Pants… I'll have to wait.

I'm quite prepared for the forks to be pants but they'll see me through the winter and then I can get some carbons, maybe putting the bouncy ones back on for the winter. I have got some old XTR cranks, loads of light stems, various sizes and shape of bars and seatposts and pedals just sitting in a box so I can upgrade it without costing me too much. When I get nicer wheels for my Swift I can swap them over and I may end up with a nice light bike. I just have to get my hands on one first though.

MrTall
    Free Member

Ask somebody off here up north to pick it up for you and ship it? Cost you around £20.

My mate lives near Chevin and has picked stuff up for me before and i grab it when he's down in Brum.

He's not down here until the end of October now though.

lukasz
    Free Member

Hey. juliescycles.co.uk have one on display. It’s a hell of a bike for 450 quid. It doesn’t have a ebb, it does away with a mini sliding dropouts. hope it helps.

mudplugga
    Free Member

bought one three weeks ago, love it got an orange five and a giant gathering dust in the garage now!forks are crappy suntour, lasted two rides before the slop in the bushings got too scary to tolerate. replaced with much lighter recons for £270.So £700 for an excellent riding ss 29er not bad in my book.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gary Fisher Marlin 29 SS – pants or not?’ is closed to new replies.