Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Gary Fisher Cake – removing the rear arm pivot
  • Lionheart
    Free Member

After some ideas on removing a Fisher Cake dlx rear pivot to change the main bearings. It has a 5mm Allen key on one side but no way to hold the pivot axle on the other side so that just spins when trying to undo the 5mm. Lots on the net about this but I am yet to find an answer.

Though I did find this from Molegrips from a year plus ago:
    ‘They are easy to change. Just undo the bolt a bit, hit it with a hammer to drive the axle out of the other side a bit.. then undo some more, tap some more til you can grab the axle then you can pull it out. Then lift up the swingarm – you can do it without undoing the shock mounts if you have it in a bike stand, you can pull the back wheel up and tie it up on the seatpost. Then the bearings are revealed and you can tap them out with a screwdriver. Putting them back in is a case of gluing them in place with loctite. They don’t stay in place on their own unlike most cartridge bearings.’

Any helpful thoughts appreciated! Rich

smoovchild
    Free Member

Spray some type of penetrating catylyst into the cup & let it soak for a few days- I used PB. Pull the crank arm & squeeze the cup together to the frame using a pair of vice grips- get it real tight or you’ll cut into the inside of the cup- not a big deal, but could reduce the integrity of the cup. The bolt should come out now. If it was anything like mine the bearings will just fall out. I cleaned up the threads on the bolt & cup with a tap- then used anti-seize when i put it back together.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Gary Fisher Cake – removing the rear arm pivot’ is closed to new replies.