• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gray.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garmmin Edge 820
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

It appears that Garmin are finally going to replace the Edge 810.
    https://the5krunner.com/2016/07/13/garmin-edge-820-edge820-here-it-is-full-specifications-at-last/

meeeee
    Free Member

on garmin website now

garmin 820

zilog6128

So can you stick an SD card in it like with the 800/810 or not like the 520?

Either way, looks good, have been tempted to get a new Garmin recently but glad I haven’t yet as none of them quite fit the bill. Will wait to see what DCR has to say of course though!

fathomer

I was hoping for something with a screen at least as big as the 800 but with all the newer features. I think the 1000 is just to big!

meeeee
    Free Member

no SD card slot but says you can add maps to it, presumably through garmin connect

meeeee
    Free Member

hands on test on DC rainmaker now

dc rainmaker 820

scud
    Free Member

Like my 510, the blinkin USB port is underneath, meaning that you can’t have it connected to battery or dynamo?

I previously had a Touring Plus, and whilst it was a bit pants, i kept it running for a 24 hour event by connecting to external battery from the off. i don’t see the point of a device where you can’t do this so you are limited to the battery life of about 6 -10 hours?

Dibbs
    Free Member

It supposedly has some new mode that’ll give it up to 24hrs life.

zilog6128

Yeah, good write up on DCR as linked above. Basically all the features (and more) of the 1000 crammed into a 520 size box. No SD card but way more internal memory than the 520 so enough for all your maps. Sounds great!

damascus
    Free Member

Sounds like they have got rid of the sd card so that it’s harder to use downloaded maps.

zilog6128

Hopefully will work like the 520 which apparently is very easy to install custom maps onto despite not having an SD card.

mugsys_m8

Dc rain maker has a good guide to installing custom maps on the 520.

christhetall
    Free Member

I was hoping for something with a screen at least as big as the 800 but with all the newer features. I think the 1000 is just to big!

I’m starting to think that the screen on the 810 is too small – i find it really difficult to navigate on the fly. Not planning to upgrade anytime soon, but if I was I go for a bigger screen

scotroutes

More folk should consider the Dakota/Oregon/Montana devices. They still support HRM/Cadence but run off AAs/an external power supply and have decent screens.

hopefiendboy

Any particular ones Colin?

scotroutes

Well, I use an Oregon 600 but there’s a new “connected” version of that too. They don’t work in quite the same way as the Edge models but can be configured with various Profiles suitable for a range of activities.

A good set of NIMH batteries will last 16 hrs or so in power save mode (blanking the screen) but you can always pop in another couple or run the GPS off an external pack (cable entry is on the bottom so works best if bar mounted although I have a L-shaped USB plug too).

Not right for everyone by any means, but worth considering depending on your usage.

Cletus
    Free Member

FFS been waiting for this for years, gave up and bought an Etrex 35T two weeks ago. It is a good general purpose GPS but not the best for cycling. 😥

dirtyrider
    Free Member

so what maps can i get if i buy this?

I’ve got a 1:50k OS map card that came with my 800

Rubber_Buccaneer

I suspect (and would bet 20p I’m right) that you would have to buy new OS maps if you want them on the 820. However I think Garmin now include OSM maps which you may find good enough

Duggan

Has anybody bought one of these yet? If so, are they in stock in any shops? I’ve got some cash put aside for one but don’t think they’re stocked just yet?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I suspect (and would bet 20p I’m right) that you would have to buy new OS maps if you want them on the 820. However I think Garmin now include OSM maps which you may find good enough

For sure. The OS maps on the SD cards are locked to the card. Having used both the OS maps (on an Etrex 25) and the Garmin OpenStreetMap based maps on the Edge Touring I think the OSM maps are better for on the bike navigation.

OS maps really need a bigger screen than the Edge or Etrex models have (look very different on the Oregons)

gray

Anyone want a 520? Only been used 3 or 4 times…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garmmin Edge 820’ is closed to new replies.