Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin/Strava live segment – overlaps
  • jam-bo

I’ve searched but found lots of conflicting views.

How does the new live segments function handle overlapping segments?

I have a long climb near me (~30 mins) with several shorter steeper pitches (~10mins) in.

I assume the first long segment will be triggered and displayed, what happens when I ride into the smaller segment? does it get ignored?

njee20
    Free Member

It’ll do the first one you get to and ignore any which have a start point before the end of that segment.

If you cancel the first one it will bring the next one up as long as there’s enough time to give you the warnings – ie the 0.1 mile countdown.

So if you have a climb segment with a descent segment starting immediately afterward it won’t pick up the descent unless you ‘cancel’ the climb segment before the point at which it gives you notification for the descent. The start of the segment proper isn’t the start for the unit, if that makes sense?!

jam-bo

That’s what I thought it would do but there was some conflicting advice on DCrainmaker.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

really does work great.

took 6 seconds off my pB for my local test climb and got under ten minutes for the first time. Discovered having a live update in front of me makes me push harder than I normally would.

carlphillips
    Free Member

what devices does it work on jambo? just seen your pork hill climb..good effort.

jam-bo

after years of extolling the virtues of phone based gps I’ve succumbed to a garmin 520.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Discovered having a live update in front of me makes me push harder than I normally would.

Discovered having a live update in front of me makes me push harder than I normally would reach out and cancel the segment as soon as the box on the right turns red. 😳

rone

First segment you trigger takes precedent for the live view.

In my real world experience. I suppose it just wouldn’t make sense to be viewing multiple efforts. So you could disable the micro segments until you’ve got the bigger on.

deadkenny
    Free Member

What’s the thought on this feature so far, in terms of Strava segments?

Update is available for my 510 but I need to pay for premium Strava to use it and not sure it’s really worth it. My full sus rides I keep the Garmin in the bag at the moment anyway, but hard tail I have it mounted on the bar but then I tend to be riding at night with the backlight off mostly so not a great deal of use. Although do have the helmet light.

rone

It’s a good feature. Nice to know where things start but not completely accurate at the end of a segment. You can get a kom on the live view and get home and be disappointed as Strava has timed it somewhat different. Vice-versa too. I think it’s down to actual end being a bit tight when it comes to gps accuracy.

onehundredthidiot

I think it’s pretty good, got a couple of oops with fairly long segments, gives me a work/rest ride which seems more structured than a normal ride. On fun rides I just cancel the live segment, unless i’m close to the magic numbers.

allfankledup

Be selective about which segment you want enabled, otherwise it takes over the ride, encouraging you to go chase numerous times…

Going out on a long ride is not best started by hammering a segment. Or maybe it is, YMMV

Good, but work out which segments you really want to try to beat

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Find it a bit “iffy” tbh. As said above its not entirely accurate, had a couple of KOM’s whilst out on the ride but when I upload to strava I find out I haven’t. Also sometimes when I’ve been in the segment, following the segment line (510 user so following a breadcrumb line) it can bleep, say “off course” then stop working. As in, how far ahead/behind your are from the kom/friend/PB which is rather infuriating if you’ve just pulled your tripe out over a long seg. Also if I’m following a course I’ve created they won’t work. It’ll show where the seg starts and finishes on the breadcrumb line but won’t activate the “how far ahead/behind feature” which is also rather annoying.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin/Strava live segment – overlaps’ is closed to new replies.