Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin/HR monitoring, GPS, watch type etc.
  • weeksy

I had an old Garmin Forerunner 110 which suited me in many ways, it was very unassuming, simple and easy, i just used the watch strap on my handlebars and away we went.

These days, as with everything, technology moves on. There’s now the Vivofit and Vivosmart, there’s Garmins without chest straps and of course there’s the all singing all dancing Garmins with maps and stuff.

I think on about 1% of times a big garmin would be useful to me, the rare trip to the Alps when i want to find a paritcular start point, but in general, not much use.

As long as i can get home and check the data, i’m happy.

I’m thinking maybe even just a HRM strap and Strava would be plenty for what i want/need really. But you know how it is, we get a little carried away and suddenly instead of a £12 strap you’ve now spent £200 and got an all singing Vivofit.

I’d like to have the live heart rate showing along with the timer for sprint interval training mostly, i like to do 1min on/off sprint intervals in the garage and trying to hit/maintain particular HRs etc.

Either way, it will get used plenty so i can justify the cost… but whether one is ‘better’ than the others…. not sure.

weeksy

Read the bottom one last night… Will check out the top one in a minute. Thank you.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Wrist based heart rate won’t work on your handlebars. Just a thought 😉

weeksy

Of course, understand that 🙂

Well it can using broadcast mode and a HR strap 🙂

Drac

I’ve not tried using my old HR strap, I should really try it.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The wrist based monitors some will allow the use of a belt too when on the bike so you can still get your heart rate.

Nobby

I have both an 800 & a vivosmart hr – the latter is the one that gets used the most (by far) and I actually just leave it on my wrist. In direct comparison with the 800 & a chest strap the data was within a couple of % difference.

Amazed by battery life too.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a Forerunner 610 which has a lot more functionality than the 110 but is still a multisport watch. Does HR/time/distance based training, and I’ve a custom screen showing live speed/HR data for glancing at. It’s also discontinued as the 620 has replaced it so you can get them really cheap on eBay.

(I did just also buy a Edge 800 for the bike but that was purely for rides where I want a map to follow)

cchris2lou

I have a 910xt, very happy with it.

weeksy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142120635350?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ended up with a Forerunner 610 for £65 posted… Used, but gives everything i need i rekon.

Thanks guys for the ideas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin/HR monitoring, GPS, watch type etc.’ is closed to new replies.