Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin….bloody garmin
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

3 of us riding in the rain…..we all did the same
    But when we uploaded to strava though our garmins……same mileage but different results on the climbs
    I have the new 520…..1250 ft of climbing
    One had the new 1000….2048ft
    And the last had an older garmin….2890 ft

Is there a way of getting this right….or at least close??……I wouldn’t mind….but I’m missing out…lol

prawny

I think the wind is messing with the altimeters, last week my regular commute was up by 500ft on a windy ride home.

Shred
    Free Member

The water blocks the holes on the back so the altimeter gets a bad reading. You can usually see it on the course profile where the night goes flat rather than following the actual profile.

You can turn on altitude correction to fix it in Strava

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

Select the enable altitude correction button or whatever it’s called. Or just forget about it and be glad you got out for a ride

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Where do I find this altitude correction button ?? I can’t seem to find it anywhere in Strava ???

gdj001
    Free Member

My 510 was doing this in bad weather (rain). As someone said above, it’s water blocking the sensor on the back. I bought a case, was about a fiver and has sorted it

pictonroad

Mine does it all the time. I forget about elevation on it now. I too have never found the elevation correction button.

In fact, when it’s raining and the hole on the back is blocked is the only time the bloody thing is comparable to all the other devices on the ride. I’m tempted to block it permanently and force it to use GPS only.

jam-bo

There is normally a question mark by the elevation data. Only on the website though.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Is th setting in profiles?
    Where the choice is GPS, GPS+GLONASS?…..on the edge 520???

MoreCashThanDash

Always correct elevation on Garmin Connect. I usually loose 25% 👿

Shred
    Free Member

It is in the Strava website, not on your garmin device. The device doesn’t have the correct data as it can only show you what it read.

Go to the strava website, open your ride, at the top next to your distance and time is the elevation. Under the number is “Elevation(?)” which is a clickable link. Click that and select, “correct elevation”.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They need calibrating, like any barometric gauge. You have to find the actual elevation at a reference point and you set that as a location in the Garmin when you are at that point.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bdf7142e0-ea50-11e0-73d0-000000000000%7D

That “older” Garmin – how old? Does it have a barometer at all? If not, it will be reading GPS altitude and that will be way off.

Yes you can get the web sites to “correct” it, though that’s based on topographical elevation for the GPS position. That data may not have a fine resolution so the elevation may be generalised for a 100m square (for example) and thus not be right either unless that whole area is flat. Though when comparing against others it’s at least more consistent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin….bloody garmin’ is closed to new replies.