Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin, which one?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Probably done to death but….

Planning on getting a Garmin –

Other than touch screen and colour is there any difference between 500 and 510?

Is 800 much of an upgrade over 500 other than maps is there much to separate them?

Is the 810 worth the extra cash? Any bargains out there to be had?

Thanks!

whitestone
    Free Member

510 you can have multiple bikes and multiple activity profiles; you can connect to your phone via bluetooth; I think the 510 uses the Russian Glasnoss system in addition to the American one.

Unless you want/need the maps then I wouldn’t bother with the 800 series though a firmware update might have added Di2 compatibility to them, the 1000 has that feature.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

GLONASS and bluetooth were the reason I chose the 510. Very fast satellite lock and works great with my Nexus 5 for live track and upload when I finish a ride.

Courses work very well for following preset routes, especially on road, if you don’t need full mapping.

510/810 both have Di2 comparability.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soulrider
    Free Member

is it a bluetooth link between phone and gps unit ?
    and does it link directly to Garmin Connect?

#thread hijack
    Anyone got an older garmin 405CX with ANT+ anyone got a clue how I can upload my rides to Garmin connect using and ANT+ link with my Sony Xperia Z3 compact?

thorpey0
    Free Member

Hijack away!

I don’t need the maps feature so I get a 510 would be a good choice.

Any deals on 510’s to be had?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mine was cheap on Amazon.

The Bluetooth connects the Garmin to a phone, lets you sync activities with Connect (which also syncs with Strava etc) and you can also upload courses to your Garmin.

CraigW
    Free Member

#thread hijack
    Anyone got an older garmin 405CX with ANT+ anyone got a clue how I can upload my rides to Garmin connect using and ANT+ link with my Sony Xperia Z3 compact?

It should be possible using Uploader for Garmin. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlopescio.uploader
    See this guide http://www.sportablet.com/blog/support-for-sony-xperia-going-alpha

cloudnine
    Free Member

Bought the 510 last week on Amazon for £218 with hrm and cadence.
    Was about £180 for just the 510.

The 810 was reduced to about £260 with hrm and cadence.
    Handtec is worth a look

benw
    Free Member

I had the 500 which i lost after a couple of years good service,now got the 810 which is worth it just for the bigger screen so you can the data better.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Anyone dealt with Handtech? reviews seem good…?

jkomo

Used Handtec a couple of times. All fine, quick delivery, no problems.
    Got a 1000 from them recently for not a lot more. Came with all the new sensors and HRM.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin, which one?’ is closed to new replies.