Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin VIRB camera – thoughts?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hi guys. I’m looking at getting a Garmin VIRB. What are people’s general thoughts on them regarding quality and user friendliness? I’ve never owned a gopro or anything so I have nothing to compare it to. However I’d like to be able to edit footage easily enough without too much of a faff. I noticed it might be hard to use a chest mount because of the shape of it. Will that be a big loss or do most people not really use chest mounts anyway?

Cheers chaps!

mooman
    Free Member

I seen somebodies footage of a recent ride. As well as showing the ride, it showed the details of cadence/speed/HR/power/elevation … practically everything was there on the screen. Looked very good.

That said. Whilst they arent as geeky and nerdy looking as the Go-Pros … they are still quite bulky.
    I think the cameras are handy for commuting for the safety aspect. To just record rides – I think they got to get very boring very quickly.

hatter

The big start/stop filming switch on the side is great for gloved hands, especially if the camera isn’t in your line of sight as it’s easy to tell whether or not you’ve turned it on.

I used mine for the first time to shoot some video of my nipper at Swinley, the included software seemed to be pretty user friendly and I was happy with the result. I’ve never had a Gopro so I’m nor sure how it compares but I’m happy with it.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ll just want it to film the odd mtb ride or ski session, probably only use it if I think I’ll be riding something interesting.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just turn mine on at the start of a ride and record everything, when anything interesting happens it’s usually too late to turn it on or I forget. 😳

CraigW
    Free Member

You can use the Garmin Virb Edit software with a GoPro. ie combine the video with a track from a GPS. So that will let you add overlays for speed, elevation, heart rate etc.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I just turn mine on at the start of a ride and record everything, when anything interesting happens it’s usually too late to turn it on or I forget

How does that work with storage space and battery life? Can you keep it on for a whole 3 hour or so ride?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So any disadvantages of having a VIRB over a gopro in terms of campatability with different mounts etc?

jonm81

With the shoulder mount you can pretend to be Predator. Can’t do that with a go-pro.

Dibbs
    Free Member

So any disadvantages of having a VIRB over a gopro in terms of campatability with different mounts etc?

Not the best form factor for chest mount, but I prefer it for helmet mount.
    I’ve got 3 BTW 2 Elite and a standard Virband I’m happy enough with the results.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin VIRB camera – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.