Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin Varia Vision thingy
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Saw this little clip on CRC…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfB6k6E4v6s[/video]

Must admit I’d quite like to give it a go even though it’d make me look (more) like a knob (than I already do.) Probably get a bit annoying having it in your line of sight all the time though.

Anyone tried one?

Edit… blimey, looks like my Edge 810 is outdated as it’s not compatible! And it’s 320 quid!

nemesis
    Free Member

I think it’s the way things will head (if not more integrated into the glasses like some offerings being touted on kickstarter, etc) but as you’ve pointed out for now I reckon it’s really too expensive for the benefits.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame they can’t just stick the whole thing into the heads up unit and do away with the Garmin head unit. Maybe use a smartphone app for config. Bit like the Wahoo thing.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a lot of Garmin gadgets but this is one I’ll give a miss, I don’t get on with glasses. 😕

zilog6128

DC Rainmaker did a great write-up back in Jan. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-varia-vision-hud.html

I would love to have a go with this device… free returns on CRC anyone? 😈

rone

I don’t see how it’s less distracting than taking a glance at your Edge.

It’s something in your eye-line.

nemesis
    Free Member

So’s your nose 😉 I think you just end up ignoring it.

wors

What happens if you need reading glasses 😥

nemesis
    Free Member

You read books while cycling? 🙂

gray

When they first announced the rear radar doodah I said to a friend of mine “I can’t see how that’s going to work in practice – if it beeps every time a car is nearby then you’ll throw it in a hedge within half an hour, and if it doesn’t then you’ve got to happen to be looking down at your Garmin to notice that a car is behind you. What they should do is integrate that into a head up display thingy, then it could catch your attention but still be willfuly ignorable.”. Then they announced the Varia Vision thingy.

I think it’s quite cool, but as already pointed out (a) that’s a lot of cash, and (b) will look a bit daft. Would it be useful for TTs to avoid having to look at a Garmin to monitor time / distance / power?

(I’ve just got a Vivoactive HR so will now look like a bit of a Garmin knob in my everyday life.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would it be useful for TTs to avoid having to look at a Garmin to monitor time / distance / power?

Don’t wear glasses under a TT helmet so would need to sort out mounting. Good idea though so you don’t need to move your head.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Varia Vision thingy’ is closed to new replies.