• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jsm.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin touring
  • codebauer
    Free Member

So,
    Does anyone know the difference between the touring and 800?
    Looks like they take away some training and give you some maps. Is it worth the trade?

Hidden on the Garmin site, it states that the maps are based on open street maps! Hmm, but you can put osm on the 800!

So my question: Has anyone seen how the touring maps compare to the edge 800 with osm?

–pauL

Dibbs
    Free Member

My understanding is that it takes the same maps as the 800 but doesn’t have the training gubbins, making it a fair bit cheaper.

jsm

just mine yesterday, so far looks ok

codebauer
    Free Member

Interestingly, the German Garmin stie says “Bike maps based on OSM”. UK site doesn’t mention that….

Would be really nice to compare a Touring map screen to a edge 800 OSM maps screen.

Anyone got pics??

jsm
    codebauer
    Free Member

Looks very similar to to OSM with removed buildings OSM-link

I guess that is the Garmin map…

What do you think?

Interested in installing OSM maps and checking the difference (for science)

–pauL

jsm

Paul – here’s my thoughts on the edge touring so far. It’s good, just slightly different to my old massive garmin. I didn’t want the training part of the expensive edges. I’ve emailed Garmin to ask about a few functions I’d like them to explain/consider, probably my user stupidity.

Follow course. I can go into where to > saved > courses then select one of the courses from above. The problem is that I can’t turn off the routing options. It will follow that course but it will try to ‘add value’ to my routing. Can I get it not to use a calculation method? I don’t want minimise time/distance/ascent, I just want to follow the course as I uploaded to the device. especially off-road this is much more realistic than trying to cut across fields or roads/paths. Can I tell it to do less and just follow the route, make no changes to it? If not, can you add this as a feature…I could live with it as is.

Reverse uploaded routes. Can you do the equivalent of the tracback function? can I select an old course and say go to start, or end? when out on the hill, I won’t have a reverse route already created as a course to follow.

[before someone says buy a paper map instead, that’s always with me as well]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin touring’ is closed to new replies.