Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin stats for rd bike – how am I?
  • sefton
    Free Member

this is my local loop of around 12 miles. its really hilly (west pennine moors)

I cant seem to break an average of 14mph.

with all the talk of road bike clubs averaging high teens and 20’s – what would be a respectable average for a ride like this?

druidh
    Free Member

My usual “training” loop is 80km and 550m of ascent. That’s got to be 50 miles and 1,800 feet? Last time I did that I averaged 17.5mph, solo.

Club rides would be faster as you can draft and share the hard work at the front.

PS – and I don’t consider myself to be a fast rider.

wwaswas

sefton – you need to learn to descend faster 😉

fasthaggis

Go the other way 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It’s got 1200ft of climbing, so that’s less than 100ft/mile, which isn’t that hilly.

What is your benchmark? A Tour De France rider? Your average punter on here? (note that the latter are actually quicker than the former 🙄 ), club rider?

It’s not very quick in roadie terms, but there’ll be plenty of people who are slower, and without knowing the route, how hard you were going etc it’s impossible to say you are in the x percentile.

Closest I can personally relate to is my old commute, which was slightly further and slightly hillier (in Surrey…). Being a commute I wasn’t going flat out, (although average power was fairly high) and that was a 17.3 average.

Does that help!? I thought not 😉

wors

this is my local loop of around 12 miles. its really hilly (west pennine moors)

Roughly where in the west pennines? Rivington?

sefton
    Free Member

I suck! 😥

yeah just wanted to get a comparison to say your average club rider

cheers_drive

Unless you can compare youreself with someone on the same route it’s hard to say but I do know that most of my fastest average speeds come in longer 80-100km rides compared to shorteer once on similar terrain as I’m a slow starter and need to find a rhythm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

12 miles is pretty short imo. are you even warmed up?

carbon337
    Free Member

Just checked one of my latest night rides for you to compare on my garmin page. This was a solo ride.

Distance: 37.67 mi
    Avg Moving Speed: 18.2 mph
    Elevation Gain: 2,542 ft
    Elevation Loss: 2,541 ft
    Max Speed: 39.8 mph

I would say im in top 10% of my club riders. Not really into anything over 60miles though as it takes too long and I’ve a young family to occupy.

sefton
    Free Member

Roughly where in the west pennines? Rivington?

sefton
    Free Member

here’s a 30miler

njee20
    Free Member

The hills are definitely relevant – the rides carbon337 and Druidh compared contain about half the climbing/mile, and although you obviously go quicker on the descents a hilly ride is still slower IME.

Didn’t actually put my Garmin Connect Activity in my last post, it’s here if you wanted to see it.

This is fairly typical of a quick hilly road ride for me, 60 miles, 4000ft of climbing, and about 18mph. I’d say I’m reasonably fit, but know plenty of people far quicker than me!

wors

Hers’s a link to my route home from work, not far from you.

druidh
    Free Member

Average HR of 135. You’re not trying very hard, are you 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

This is the closest ride I have to the OP:

Heartrate bpm avg 136 159 MAX

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garmin stats for rd bike – how am I?’ is closed to new replies.