Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Garmin running watch GPSes
  • Jamie
    Free Member

even if you don’t scratch it all you’ll do is smear the screen with muddy water. and then what, how do you wipe it clean on the go without changing the settings?

Thing is that is never going to happen. The watch is aimed at those who run around the local park for 30 mins and only when it’s sunny.

surfer
    Free Member

The watch is aimed at those who run around the local park for 30 mins and only when it’s sunny.

As oppose to those who “ride” around the local paths for 30 mins when its sunny! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I would hope the touch screen is tougher – my concerns come from my old Edge. First muddy ride, screen covered in mud, wipe – oh bugger.

woffle
    Free Member

Well, I have to say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 610 since it arrived yesterday – worked lovely on my 30 minute sunny lap around the park. Obviously I won’t be using it when it rains 🙂

GPS pickup is about twice as fast as the 705, the vibrate alert is far better than annoying beeps on laps and the touch-screen has worked ok. TBH I’m not 100% why it’s got the touch-screen, it certainly wasn’t the reason I bought it and time will tell how robust it is – you could certainly emulate all the functionality with a couple of buttons.

I wanted a decent watch-shaped GPS – the 305XT has the same features (+ some additional power settings I think, and waterproofness) but it really looks like an edge strapped to your wrist and isn’t a great deal cheaper – if I was interested in triathlons I’d have maybe gone with the 310XT but for running and maybe cycling (not sure if I’ll sell my 705) it looked to be the better bet. The 405/410 sits a fair bit higher than the 610 on the wrist and the issues with the bezel are numerous.

As far as robustness – about 1/2 my current run is off-road and it’s had a couple of knocks / dealt with whipping branches ok, not exactly the depths of the muddy winter as tests go but it’s unscratched which is more than I can say about my arms and legs. I’m sure you could get a screen protector for it if it worried you.

The screen is also slightly recessed – the 310/305 have known issues with screens cracking as there’s no protective bezel / lip. I think the new Nike watch also has this problem.

it’s also got some quick-switch functionality to toggle between cycling and running easily – haven’t had a chance to give that a go yet.

All good so far and preferable to my old Suunto.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just had a play and turned on the beeps. What a horrid little sound!
    Switched it off again 😐

emsz
    Free Member

I run the same routes pretty much all the time, just use a stopwatch. Are you lot getting any faster, knowing your heart-rates and interval wotsits?

Jamie
    Free Member

The screen is also slightly recessed – the 310/305 have known issues with screens cracking as there’s no protective bezel / lip. I think the new Nike watch also has this problem.

The first batch of 310s were susceptible to this for the reasons you mentioned. Garmin denied there was a problem, then mysteriously newer ones with recessed screens started appearing.

Probably just a coincidence.

I run the same routes pretty much all the time, just use a stopwatch. Are you lot getting any faster, knowing your heart-rates and interval wotsits?

For me it’s not just that. It allows me to run intervals, virtual partner allows me to race against myself and other bells and whistles for both running and biking.

The main use of my 310XT tho, and why I upgraded from a 405, is to use on the road bike for courses. Simply load a pre-planned route into it and then I can just follow it via breadcrumb trail/compass directions. Very handy when your riding 100 miles on roads you don’t 100% know.

woffle
    Free Member

Are you lot getting any faster, knowing your heart-rates and interval wotsits?

When I started back cycling it made a difference being able to train using HR zones for one thing – hopefully, starting back running the same way it’ll help get me fit faster too – horses for course I know but works for me. Also nice to be able to look back and see tangible improvements logged as I go along.

Probably just a coincidence.

🙂 – though I’ve used Garmin customer support only the once they’ve been excellent – sounds pretty typical though..

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Garmin running watch GPSes’ is closed to new replies.