Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Garmin question (potential stupidity)
  • Kryton57

So if I buy an 810 – a NON HRM head unit only, it will connect to my current garmin (500) chest strap HRM won’t it?

And it comes with a set of base maps good enough for road navigation?

euain

HRM stuff – yes, any Ant+ HRM should connect to it.

Base maps.. pass.

chakaping
    Free Member

Open source mapping (free) is good enough for road or off-road IME.

Easy enough to install.

wwaswas

a NON HRM head unit

I’d check carefully. They used to switch off the HRM etc stuff on the ‘base’ model to force you to buy the next one up if you wanted to access the functionality in the future.

Kryton57

I’d check carefully. They used to switch off the HRM etc stuff on the ‘base’ model to force you to buy the next one up if you wanted to access the functionality in the future.

This is what I’m worried about, but you’d think for £250+ you’d get it…

tenfoot

Base maps are woeful. I use OSM maps on my 810, which are adequate enough

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought my Edge 810 without the HRM, I’m still using the HRM strap that came with my old Edge 705.

Nobby

I bought an 800 and use it with my old HRM & cadence sensors without issue.

Use the open source mapping too which is way better than the awful base map.

emac65
    Free Member

My 800 connected to my very old 305 HR strap ok

Talky Toaster for free mapping
    😉

legend
    Free Member

Base maps are a waste of time. Open Street Map will get your going nicely though (for free)

I bought a non-HRM 810, works fine with my HRM

Kryton57

Ah, ok looking good then.

So, as I don’t need all the smartphone stuff, just the usual HR, speed type data and occasional routing, its it worth buying the now cheaper 800 instead of the 810?

njee20
    Free Member

Segments on the 810, which are quite neat, although a slightly clunky interface still.

cp

800 is still a great unit, mines a couple of years old but is by far the best cycling product I’ve ever bought.

Kryton57

Segments on the 810

Like Strava?

legend
    Free Member

There’s no segments on the 810, just the 1000 – unless something has very recently changed?

There’s segments on Garmin Connect that you can see when you upload, and the 1000 can pick these up whilst riding.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s no segments on the 810, just the 1000 – unless something has very recently changed?

Software update 3.20 added Segments to the 810

There’s segments on Garmin Connect that you can see when you upload, and the 1000 can pick these up whilst riding.

Sort of – you can put them on the device so they come up, they can’t be pushed to the device at all. More usefully there are third party applications that can transpose Strava segements (and their leaderboards) onto your Edge. It’s a bit clunky like I say, you have to manually and individually convert them and add them to your device, but once you’ve done that (so if you want to target a few or whatever) it works very well. It feels the next step would be to be able to add a whole load within a certain radius of a point, or something like that.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Firmware 3.20 (the latest full release) won’t give you Segments or Di2 display, 3.28 linked above will but it’s only a Beta release at the moment. I’ve been using it and the two previous versions (3.23 & 3.24) and it’s pretty good now.

3.28 is also available for the Edge 510 as well.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough! I’ve got a 1000, so assumed when they said they added support it could actually display them 😕

Dibbs
    Free Member

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91165082/132.bmp[/img]
    [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91165082/112.bmp[/img]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Base maps are a waste of time. Open Street Map will get your going nicely though (for free)

I bought a non-HRM 810, works fine with my HRM

This ^^^ is exactly what I did. Love my 810*, way better than my old 500. The openstreetmap stuff works really well. I just plot a route in BikeHike then it’s easy enough to follow on the Garmin (provided you turn off the automatic routing.) I hate stopping to look at maps so this is brilliant for trying new routes.

I’m not sure about the Strava stuff. Could easily derail a disciplined training ride!

(*) It has had a few funny moments. e.g. resetting itself, going back to factory defaults and losing all my bike and activity settings, etc. But on the whole these are very infrequent and it is a great product.

legend
    Free Member

nts. e.g. resetting itself, going back to factory defaults and losing all my bike and activity settings, etc. But on the whole these are very infrequent and it is a great product.

That sounds a bit rubbish! Luckily mine’s not really had any hiccups, bar occasionally forgetting to tell me where to go when following a route

Kryton57

I’m not interested in the segments TBH, I’m aware enough of the local Strava segments on my training routes not to have it show me.

So the conclusion is that I can get the 810 head unit for £244, it’ll work with my HRM from my 500, and I can load some free maps on it to help me get places.

Perfect, thanks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My 810 with cadence and HRM has been one of the best pieces of kit I’ve bought in a very long time indeed.

I went through a bit of pain getting to know it but now I’m fully familiar I’d be lost without it. I use OSM and Connect for all my routing work, also RideGPS for creating routes and modifying others that can’t be loaded to Connect (some restrictions on that, you’ll be disappointed if you think you can upload/modify Any file because you can’t) Once modified you can push them to the 810 and ride them, and read them prior, but you can’t modify a file that’s not been created in Connect.

Anyway, OSM more than good enough for both trail and road.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m aware enough of the local Strava segments on my training routes not to have it show me.

Aah, but the real time ‘how you’re doing versus the leader’ is rather neat if you need a bit of a motivator!

Not sure it’s entirely worth the extra for the 810. Likewise the connectivity thing is good, but I think the wifi connectivity on the 1000 is probably better than the Bluetooth on the 810, and I’m not sure how much I’d specifically pay for either.

Kryton57

Ok, I’ll hunt down 800 deals then.

mrblobby
    Free Member

My mate has the 800, I much prefer the 810.

Kryton57

Why so Mrblobby?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mostly the display and the touch screen, just seems better. TBH I don’t use much of the other features like the connected stuff (other than an initial play with them.)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

it’s only a Beta release

Lulz, isn’t that all Garmin updates evaa?

legend
    Free Member

I reckon the Bluetooth connectivity of the 810 is well worth having. The idea of having to wait until you’re home to plug in and upload seems obscene when you’re used to uploading from the coffee shop!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Tart/snob/STWist…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Strava whore 😛

legend
    Free Member

^ jealous cause he only bought a 510……
    ……. and his new bike is slower than his old one

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just slightly weirded out ‘cos I agreed with you about the coffee shop thing and felt all dirty!

Fixie is always faster at this time of year…I hate the fact I was thinking about it on my commute home tonight, new bike will come good…maybe…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Garmin question (potential stupidity)’ is closed to new replies.