Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Garmin question – incorporating waypoints into tracks
  • hugor
    Free Member

I usually plot my intended cycle route as a track rather than a route as it doeesn’t clutter up our device with lots of waypoints.
    I’ve noticed that when event organisers send you the gpx it includes waypoints like food stations etc and they are incorporated into the track.
    I find this useful as when you use the course page during the ride it countdowns the distance along the intended route to the waypoint.
    How do you do this?
    I use memory map and mapsource.
    Thanks in advance.

dobo
    Free Member

as far as im aware only routes can contain waypoints. for instance in memory map you can either create a route made out of waypoints or a track, which is just a trail of where you want to go or where you have been.
    i imagine that a if you have been given a gpx with waypoints its actually a route.

i prefer to follow a track on my 705 with the compass.

hugor
    Free Member

Thats what I thought too however recently I entered the HONC and downloaded the gpx track they supplied.

This included the food station and the course page counted down to it.
    When navigating a plan I usually go between the map page at close range and the course page.

If you plot a waypoint independent of the track then the device will try to take you by the most direct road route and not necessarily via the chosen cycle path.

The reason I am asking this is that I’m plotting the millenium coast path in Wales which is 70 odd miles long between Port Talbot and Camarthen.

I would like to have the major towns included as waypoints in the track for supply stops etc.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Garmin question – incorporating waypoints into tracks’ is closed to new replies.