Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin prices
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Now that Garmin have released there new small form factor series of gps computers do you think we will see a price drop on the older devices. I am in the market for one but cant afford it and the second hand market offers no value at all. I have very rarely seen any tempting deals on them and just wondered if the small ones take off will the old stuff be sold off cheaper?

njee20
    Free Member

Unlikely, the small ones are not rivals to the ‘bigger’ Edges, so why narrow the price gap? 510 may drop now the 520 is out.

breninbeener

@blader…..i have sent you an email

riddoch

They’ll be a price drop but it never seems to be as much as you’d expect. The edge 200 has been availabile for about £70 (Amazon, lidl) for a while and is 4 years old. but that’s still not that much cheaper than the 20 (£100 from wiggle or £87.53 from bike discount.de).
    Last year I bought a 800 as it was quite a bit cheaper than the 1000 that had just come out, now you can pick up the 1000 for about £275. So after a few yar the price tends to be about 30% less than when first released but them seems to plateau.

mrchrispy

get on camelcamelcamel and put in a price alert on the unit you want.
    thats what I did with my 510 and I picked up a bargin.

blader1611
    Free Member

Still not sure which one i want but favouring the 800 or 810 so i will try the price alert and see what happens. There was one one time offer on amazon but i missed out on that and its the only time i have ever seen a good discount applied.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

the useless pillocks are taking 20 minutes to reply on the phone, to confirm an online order! Not surprised there isn’t a second hand market.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

if you can wait, Amazon Black Friday/Lightning deals before and after Xmas are as cheap as you’ll get in the UK. I’ve bought several for us and ‘for’ mates (as in I see the deal and snap it up, they pay for it!) in the last 2 years, everything from Etrex to Edge 500 and 800 to various multi-sport watches. We’ve paid less than I’ve seen them go for used.

If you miss a deal you can save it and they’ll notify you when it comes around again.

Other options are to keep on eye on Wiggle, CRC for “NOH” which means factory-refurbed, and discounters like Handtec or Sportpursuit.

nickc

They’re market leaders, why would they discount?

riddoch

Camelcamelcamel is good for when Amazon drops their prices properly but seems to sometimes miss lightning deals. I’ve had an alert on for a while for a vivoactive and it’s been below that a couple of times in the last few weeks but I’ve not had an alert and it’s not showing on the graph.
    The 810 and 800 are very similar apart from the phone connectivity, so if you don’t mind connecting it to a PC to upload and don’t want live tracking the 800 is the way to go.

blader1611
    Free Member

They may be market leaders but there does seem to be quite a few more names getting in to this market (lezyne,mio etc), so hopefully a bit of competition might drive down the prices. I have set up a camel account so we will see what that brings, no massive rush at this stage for one.

GrahamS

They may be market leaders but there does seem to be quite a few more names getting in to this market (lezyne,mio etc)

yep, was just reading this:
    http://road.cc/content/news/162654-lezyne-gps-bike-computers-available-uk

looks good

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin prices’ is closed to new replies.