Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Garmin out front mounts – cheaper alternatives?
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, age and eyesight makes me think that I need to mount my Garmin a little further forward so I can read it better when riding.

The Garmin and K Edge mounts look great, but are £25 – still cheaper than bifocal photo-chromatic riding glasses, but are they that much better than the cheaper versions?

geoffj

There are sram ones on eBay for around a tenner.

adsh
    Free Member

I have a k-edge and a cheapo from xc racer shop. Both work but the cheapo one is pretty bendy/naff

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Sram. All you need

MoreCashThanDash

SRAM looking a good bet then.

chrispy

Superstar do one for £13. Got one for the road bike and it does the job well

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah the SRAM ones are good. Not quite as nicely finished as the Garmin ones but they work just as well.

P.S. There is some concern that cheap all-metal mounts can damage the back of the Garmin. I don’t know if that’s a real-world problem.

TiRed

SRAM put the garmin above the bars, K-Edge put the garmin in line with the bars. I have both and much prefer the K-Edge position. They both hold my 810 firmly.

njee20
    Free Member

P.S. There is some concern that cheap all-metal mounts can damage the back of the Garmin. I don’t know if that’s a real-world problem.

Expensive metal mounts can do that! I’ve known people with K-Edge mounts have problems.

atlaz
    Free Member

I use SRAM on the road and BarFly off road. Both do the job for me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a couple of the xc-racer ones. Cheap and flexy but also light and most likely to break before the garmin does in a crash. They work just fine.

wilburt
    Free Member

SRAM works fine.

dudeofdoom

Superstar also do one with a gopro mount – the internal garmin fixing bits plastic outers metal. Its nice.

freeagent
    Free Member

SRAM one here – works fine and is rock solid.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

For those with the SRAM mount do you think if you positioned it in an out front position would it clear a number board? Not keen on the above stem position anymore after catching my knee on it and a normal normal Garmin or K-edge mount would be in the way.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Tape a wooden spoon to your stem. 🙄

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Eh?

freeagent
    Free Member

Tape a wooden spoon to your stem.

Genius – why didn’t I think of that!
    Ikea do black plastic kitchen spoons for less than a pound if you are on a budget/a weight weenie

griffiths1000
    Free Member

freeagent – Member

Tape a wooden spoon to your stem.

Genius – why didn’t I think of that!
    Ikea do black plastic kitchen spoons for less than a pound if you are on a budget/a weight weenie

Could even use carbon wrap effect tape if you really want to splash out! 😆

jonba
    Free Member

Sram, been fine on my mtb and road bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got a coupl of barfly ones off ebay, imported from the USA they worked out cheaper than anything else.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

monkeyfudger – Member

Eh?

For quick release screw your existing mount through the handy hole in the middle.

Actually Freeagents idea of the plastic spoon works better, would be less chance of getting impaled in the event of a high speed crash. Also angle of spoon makes good visibility.Better still this spoon came free with a mixed salad, further reducing outlay costs. Be sure and color coordinate your rubber bands and tape.

😉

griffiths1000
    Free Member

It was a joke…………well i found it amusing anyway! 😆 😆 😆

geoffj

*reports Griffiths1000 for being a second login for al*

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Thought at least i would get a wooden spoon award for the idea! 😆

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Griffiths1000 – those pics really made me chuckle 🙂 Your path could do with some work though 😉

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Your path could do with some work though

😆 😆

It’s actually the shed door not the house, the mat is a bit of a joke, infact i have “please wipe your feet written on the step”, just about make it out in the wooden spoon pic. 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Garmin out front mounts – cheaper alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.