Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Garmin Oregon 650 help please
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Trying to get a mates running and it won’t play.
    I am building routes with a variety of online sites eg Bikehike and they work perfectly with my Edge 800. The 650 doesn’t like them. Of course I may be sending them to the wrong bit of the memory but no where can I see where to send them. On the 800 ist to “new files” but that doesn’t exist on the 650.
    Any ideas.
    Also the screen on the 650 shows hundreds of way points. It looks like a track that has saved every few yards but t has been sent as a route. (course isn’t an option ) and is saved in routes . Nothing in tracks.
    The problem with this is that the unit appears to have used its ration of waypoints. Eg it will only show 5 miles of a 25 miles route and then nothing. That was created with just 6 clicks of the mouse as the software follows roads. Nothing complicated.
    Any one got a any tips. Garmin forums haven’t supplied anything.

doordonot
    Free Member

I use an Oregon 450 for biking and adding GPX files, so the interface might be similar. I don’t have any other Garmin unit so can’t compare them. The 450 was a bugger to learn to use for cycling because the Oregon is primarily a hiking and geocaching unit. It works fine for cycling though, just not quite as intuitive as the Edge series.

I may be sending them to the wrong bit of the memory but no where can I see where to send them. On the 800 ist to “new files” but that doesn’t exist on the 650. Any ideas./quote]

>> When I plug the 450 into my computer (same on PC or mac), two ‘drives’ load up: one says ‘Garmin’ and the other is a serial code. I click on one that says ‘Garmin” then the folder called ‘Garmin’ then the folder called ‘GPX’. There are three folders within that: Archive, Current, Nav. There are also a bunch of timestamped gpx files in the root of that GPX folder – those are the files I create after I finish a ride and on the unit’s menu. Click ‘Track Manager’ > ‘Current Track’ > ‘Save Track’. I then click ‘clear current track’ if I’ve finished the ride completely (the unit auto-archives anyway).

Anyway, in that GPX folder is where I drag and drop my custom-created gpx tracks (doesn’t matter which website I’ve used to create the gpx file). So delete all the existing timestamped gpx files out of there (if you’re done with them) and drag and drop your new gpx routes there. Disconnect the unit, switch it on and then in the menu, there are two buttons you can press to find the route. Either, a) ‘Where to’ – and then select the route and then press ‘Go’ or ‘Track Manager” and select the route. I tend to just leave one or two tracks in there.

Also the screen on the 650 shows hundreds of way points. It looks like a track that has saved every few yards but t has been sent as a route. (course isn’t an option ) and is saved in routes . Nothing in tracks.
    The problem with this is that the unit appears to have used its ration of waypoints. Eg it will only show 5 miles of a 25 miles route and then nothing. That was created with just 6 clicks of the mouse as the software follows roads. Nothing complicated.

>> Not sure. But …

1. Go to the gpx folder the way I showed above and see if there are lots of gpx files in there. You may want to delete them all;

2. Delete the waypoints: on the 450 start-up menu: press ‘reset’ then ‘Delete all waypoints’. Before each ride, I also always press the other options: ‘Reset Trip Data’ and ‘Clear Current Track’, that way I start with a new gpx file and not start where I left off (cos if I load the route onto Strava it creates a ride from the full GPX file).

3. Check what kind of gpx file you’re setting up: ridewithgps

Other things worth tinkering with if you’re going to use it for biking:

1. start-up setup menu: click on ‘Map’ and change the orientation of the map while you’re riding;
    2. setup menu: click on ‘tracks’ and play with those settings. I’ve got mine set to ‘Record Method’: Distance; Interval: 0.01mi; Auto Archive – ‘when full’;

That was created with just 6 clicks of the mouse as the software follows roads.

>> Are you saying the route when you create it on your website? That’ll be down to how you’ve got the website configured to follow a route, not the GPS unit. There are a bunch of different profiles on the 450 – click on setup and scroll down to ‘profiles’ and then select ‘Recreational’.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta.
    Managed to delete old routes now. Couldn’t do it on the unit but went to where you said send them to and did it. No idea how the website is set. Didn’t know you could. Using Bikehike as its simple. RidewithGPs won’t let me go where I like.
    going for another play with it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

When you download from bikehike, what option are you choosing (tcx, gpx route or gpx track)?

If you download it as a GPX route then you’ll find it in the 650 when you do “Where To / Routes” and every turn will be a waypoint.

IF you download it as a tcx or a GPX track then it’ll be under “Where To / Tracks” and every turn will be a trackpoint. Trackpoint capacity is 10,000 per track.

Either way, for a routable road route (assuming you have routable maps on the Garmin) you’re adding unnecessary complications. If it only has 6 points then plan it on the Garmin and let that do the routing.

doordonot
    Free Member

Maybe with bikehike it defaults to walking mode, so when you plan a route the cursor goes where you point it? On ridewithgps you can can click on ‘walking’, ‘cycling’ or ‘driving’ and that’ll then determine where your route will go ie in driving mode, your route won’t let you go the wrong way down a one-way street and it will generally only go down roads and tracks defined as roads (click through the drop down map options in the upper right corner of the browser).

However if you have ‘walking’ highlighted, it will work as the website route maker ignores the rules of the driving mode. If you’re mtbing, cycling usually works but only for following marked off road routes (click map option to osm cycle), but select ‘draw lines’ (something like that) and do just that for bits where there aren’t any routes or roads. Useful if you’re plotting a route over open access places like the moors, where there are no defined routes (and so also useful to have the aerial map showing).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Oregon 650 help please’ is closed to new replies.