Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin Oregon 600
  • RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Tempted to get one of these for bikepacking. Does anyone here have experience of them. What’s the battery life like? I’m not too bothered about what it’s like to operate with gloves on.

I have found that at night time with a device I tried (a TwoNav unit which I don’t think is for sale anymore) it wouldn’t dim enough which caused too much glare.

scotroutes

I run an Oregon 600. Battery life (on NIMH) is typically 14-15hrs but can be less in low temperatures.

I have it on low energy mode so the display is normally off.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got the 650. The rechargeable batteries it comes with lasts about 6 to 8 hours. But I found Sony AA rechargeable batteries give 10 to 12 hours. I have the back light on constant. Battery life depends on settings ofc. Has back light dimming. I operate it through my MTB gloves and it’s got a screen saver cover. It’s got a good screen size. Waterproof. The bike mounts are ok but you must make sure you use a safety line to your bike as they can sometimes get ejected by large hits on MTB hits. It’s got me across Portugal north to South, Brecon Becons, Dartmoor, Keilder, etc etc. it won’t make you a better map reader but if your competent I think their brilliant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Oh – you can recharge normal NIMH batteries in the unit by putting a wee bit of plastic or similar over the switch before you put the batteries in.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’ve just been looking at a size comparison to the TwoNav Anima on youtube. The Oregon looks pretty big! I can’t find any reviews on the Anima but it looks OK and perhaps smaller than the TwoNav unit I tried last year.

I charged the TwoNav via the dynamo and found it maintained the battery life for a few days with the screen on it’s lowest setting. I did carry a spare battery but that combo saw me ride for ten days all off road with battery life to spare.

The USB wasn’t waterproof though but I was lucky as it didn’t rain. Do you think the Oregon would work with this set up? Low screen, constantly on and charged via the dynamo?

scotroutes

Should work fine – that’s how I’m setting mine up now I have a dynamo. You might need an intermediary cache battery though. Without that, you’ll be getting the beep to tell you that mains is disconnected and a request to stay on every time the charging rate drops too low (i.e. at low speeds).

The Dakota is very similar, but smaller. FWIW, I much prefer the size of screen on the Oregon.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

OK cheers. Just found a review on the TwoNav Anima which also takes AA batteries. Very tempting. The Oregon’s on Amazon.es for under £200 at the moment though. Not much in it as far as I can tell.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Bit of a thread revival here.

Scotroutes or anyone with similar setup, when charging your Garmin straight from the dynamo regulator without a battery pack do you get the external power symbol or the charge symbol appearing on the Garmin? With my Oregon it shows the external power symbol but when I plug it into the battery pack it’ll show the charge symbol. I’m using rechargeable eneloops with a plastic tab over the internal button.

Trying to figure out if there’s anything wrong with my regulator or not although it seems to charge my phone fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Oregon 600’ is closed to new replies.