Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin Off Road Maps – any good?
  • hh45
    Free Member

My old 800 came with OS 1:50,000 which obviously is great as brought up reading those maps. looking at an 820 replacement and no mention of OS but rather we get a ‘pre loaded Garmin Cycle Map’. is this right and if so is it any good.

is there a better alternative?

ta

NigE5
    Free Member

If your OS map is on a micro SD card just plug it in to the new Garmin, provided it has a slot for it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yes, https://talkytoaster.me.uk uses OSM which provides much more, digestable information on a small GPS screen than OS. The guy was very helpful with my web enquiry & he even phoned me to talk me through purchase/install/use. Highly recommended.

hh45
    Free Member

thanks gwerty. I’ll do that. the 820 doesn’t have a slot for micro SD

andy10011
    Free Member
    beej

Garmin 820 comes with (at least ) European street level mapping, based on OSM from what I can see. It certainly had Mallorca street maps on it.

LAT

I’ve been trying to get to talkietoaster.me.uk from Canada, but I’m getting reports of a bad gateway. Does anyone know if there is an issue with the site or if it is because I’m trying to access it from North America?

Ta

palaganda

Bad gateway message in UK also. Trying later today.

qwerty
    Free Member

Try emailing martinATtalkytoaster.co.uk

LAT

Thanks for looking.

I tried mailing ‘info’. The email was also bounced back due to a gateway error. I’ll keep trying. I do hope he hasn’t pack up shop.

vincienup
    Free Member

Last I heard he was heavily restricting access to his maps as there were too any people taking the royal – including basing commercial work on his product.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Off Road Maps – any good?’ is closed to new replies.