Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Garmin GSC10 – speed issues
  • Kryton57

So mine seems to record 5km and drops out, nearly always recording the beginning but tonight not the first 5km.

This seems to have only happended since I changed the L/H crank for a 4iii and therefore removed the cadence magnet – does the GSC10 speed not work properly without cadence?

scotroutes

I’m sure that my old Edge 705 has the option to use the wheel magnet/GSC10 or the GPS for speed. I reckon the latter is more accurate. Is there anything in your GPS that lets you disable the speed sensor?

eskay

Mine works fine with Stages, never had any drop-outs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    prawny

The speed on mine is dead as the proverbial. I’m not the first looking on the Google, speed seems to go before cadence every time. Time for a new one if you cant use GPS.

Kryton57

I should have been clear – this has been on the turbo bike so no GPS on/used.

Reckon its borked then?

prawny

I’d say so.

Planning on getting a wahoo one if I do any more indoor riding.

scotroutes

Quite possibly. Battery change?

I have a boxed/unused GSC10 if you’re after one. I bought a “spare” for my tourer but never use the thing (The GSC10, not the bike – that gets used a lot!)

Kryton57

Thanks fir the offer – I have another on Mrs K’s bike she doesn’t use so I’ll try swapping to that first, and contact you if I have no luck with that.

ransos
    Free Member

Quite possibly. Battery change?

Mine becomes unreliable when the battery is getting low.

MSP

The GSC10 was always naff and error prone, the new separate sensors are far better. But as prawney says, I would now get the wahoo speed and cadence sensors just for btle compatibility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics-Photo/Wahoo-Cadence-Sensor-Android-Computers/B01E0YRQIA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499339270&sr=8-2&keywords=wahoo+rpm

Kryton57

Yup.

Switch to wifey’s unused one and all is fine. Just another dead GSC10 then, c’est la vie…

scotroutes

Did you try a battery change or is it just ****?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for battery change.

Kryton57

I did try a battery change – with 2 x new batteries. I tried the battery reverse also.

With whichever battery it’d record part of a ride e.g the first or last 10 mins but the rest would be 0kmph.

FWIW the magnet/bike/setup is still the same therefore Isolating the unit as the issue, despite the reset button/light indicating OK.

deadkenny
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member 
    I’m sure that my old Edge 705 has the option to use the wheel magnet/GSC10 or the GPS for speed. I reckon the latter is more accurate

Technically a speed sensor should be way more accurate as it’s tracking actual wheel roll, and GPS itself has a lot of inaccuracies.

However it does need to calibrate the wheel size, inc tyre. Though it will try to auto calibrate. Not sure how accurate that is. Can manually set it also. If you want to get really accurate then should adjust it for tyre pressure changes in theory. i.e. you need the circumference at a given pressure basically.

Anyway, the GSC10 came with my 510 but just got in the way. On a mountain bike it kept getting knocked out of position. Also I wasn’t interested in cadence. I did think about getting a hub wheel sensor, but then realised 99% of people on Strava use their phones or basic GPS from Garmin etc and speeds from a sensor don’t compare well (sometimes faster, often slower I found. Probably more accurate though).

On MTB it also may not clock accurate air speed 😀 (unless your wheels are spinning like crazy while in the air 😉 ). Though not an issue for me as wheels never get off the ground.

Potential benefit with uplifts and you don’t stop the Garmin on each lift. Wheels not spinning, so no speed. Not sure if Garmin & Strava account for that.

Would have been a downside when I did some hike-a-bike, as half the ride was bike on the back, so no speed. Although then again that’s accurate as not actually riding. Would Garmin just straight line it though?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GSC10 – speed issues’ is closed to new replies.