Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin group tracking, anyone got it working?
  • Lakes_Puma

I’ve had a couple of goes but can’t see my riding partner on my Garmin 820.

He’s enabled Group Tracking and set it to all connections, I can see him in my connections list on the Garmin Connect app.

He’s started live tracking and so have I but no sign of him on the map screen, is there another screen he should be on?

Lakes_Puma

anyone?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know anyone else with an 820 so haven’t even tried. There are a couple of you tube videos (I can’t really search for them right now, I’m sort of working) you may like to check, in true Garmin style I don’t think it is straightforward

Lakes_Puma

Thanks for the response Rubber, I’ve had a look at some vids but they mostly just show it working and not how to get it working 🙄

zilog6128

AFAIK not everyone in your group has to have an 820, they just have to have a Garmin capable of broadcasting a Live Track via a phone (i.e. 510, 810, etc). You should still be able to see them on your 820 (obviously they won’t be able to see you).

The one time I thought to try it neither of us had a mobile data signal so obviously it didn’t work!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Here is the video I was thinking of

[video]https://youtu.be/PJBMpVO_4Kg[/video]

Rubber_Buccaneer

So it’s a simple 38 step process and group tracking is up and running 🙂

riddoch

If it’s anything like normally live tracking it will be an absolute git to get working reliably.
    If my phone is further away than about 20cm it doesn’t work, if the phone is in my back pocket it doesn’t work, if I am in power save mode it doesn’t work, if the garmin goes into power save after you’ve setup live tracking but before you press start it doesn’t work, if you turn on your phone/garmin/Bluetooth in the wrong sequence it doesn’t work.

riddoch

I ended up sending live track notification emails to myself so i’d at least know if it started.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Live tracking appears to work for me and I haven’t had any problems with it remaining connected to a phone in my pack (Moto Play x, nothing fancy)

zilog6128

Live tracking has always worked for me no problem (provided I have mobile data).

Finally got around to trying Group Track again. Got it working, my mate has an 810 and we found I had to start my Live Track first (maybe this initiates a GT session? Obviously not a problem if all your mates have 820s as well!) then he started his & then appeared on my Garmin screen after 30s or so. Works well, although there is a lag (same as with Live Track).

ade9933
    Free Member

interested to see if this is any better than livetrack from the 810 which was bascially a pile of pants.

zilog6128

In what way? Followed my mate’s 810 live track along the SDW recently, I thought it worked well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin group tracking, anyone got it working?’ is closed to new replies.