Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin GPSMAP/Etrex bike mount – how to keep it in place?
  • ppapa
    Free Member

I’ve got a pretty big Garmin GPS, GPSMAP 64s (not a bike specific so I can use it for mountaineering at the same time).

However, the bike mount ( http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-bicycle-mount-kit-oregon-dakota-/rp-prod52424 ) just slides around and does not stay in the place. I tried to put an inner tube between the bars and the mount, but it didn’t help.

Thinking either taping the handlebar with some sticky tape. If that does not work, I am thinking of just gluing everything together.

Any tips/ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

Either wrap one bar tape on your bars first or use some double sided tape to fix it before securing with the cable ties.

I quite like using the carabiner mount onto my camelback straps but they got that wrong too as it would better holding the GPS upsidedown so you can flick it up to read it like a nurses watch

tillydog
    Free Member

I use a similar looking mount from ebay (I have 3 of them) and they have a rubber pad between the mount and the handlebar like this:

Maybe yours has gone missing?

Mine seem to sit on either handlebars or stem (depending on bike) securely enough. I have a lanyard on the GPS which I loop around the handlebars, but the only time it’s been needed to catch the GPS coming off the mount was on the road bike.

andyl
    Free Member

Only time I have had a problem to be honest is when golfchick* pit the mount on my bars and didn’t tell me the cable ties were not tight before I trimmd them!

*She’s biking in whistler so will be far to busy to see I posted this 😉

ppapa
    Free Member

Mine has that rubber thingie, but it just isn’t strong enough.

To be fair, I was using the zip ties from the Poundland – broke few by over-tightening. Getting some stronger ones might give a bit more holding power.

bumper
    Free Member

I have the 64s and use a ram mount. Very secure and easily removable when you need to lock the bike.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for the Ram Mounts – there are lots of options, other than bike mounting.
    http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/gps-handheld-garmin-c-360_169_659.html

Ridden with mine with no problems – several hundred road miles in the UK and to Paris and back, earlier this year.

(GPSMAP 60csx)

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes the RAM mount and then I used a CNC go pro mount from ebay – about £1 to mount the RAM to the bars

It is never ever coming out of that

Mail in profile if you want pics and links for what I got was about £15 all in IIRC and beyond secure

I dropped it numerous times with that shitty Garmin thingy

Also easier to swap between bikes and has enough space to drop two spare batteries in the void – wrapped in bubble wrap to not rattle.

nuke

Ive the same mount as you OP for my etrex…tend to mount it to top tube instead and doesn’t move there. Also i use reusable zipties so i can take it off and on easily

ppapa
    Free Member

Thanks guys, got a set of RAM Mount thingies. Put the spacers all they way down so I can mount it on stem, too. At least temporarily.

scotroutes

I use one of those mounts on 5 different bikes for a Garmin Oregon. A wee offcut of innertube as a “shim” and a couple of zipties are all it needs to keep that (heavier) unit in place.

You might need to make sure that the mount isn’t slipping along from a wider bit of the bars to a narrow bit. A couple of rounds of electrical tape might be needed to counter the taper of the bars.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPSMAP/Etrex bike mount – how to keep it in place?’ is closed to new replies.