Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin GPSmap64/oregon? My Edge it appears is not rain proof
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve read a few of the recent threads on GPS units, and wonderign inf anyone has any experience of the GPSMAP 62/64 type devices, the Oregon/Montana/Monterra etc.

I have an edge 800 which has been great, but it is not waterproof and after a couple of wet rides is now finally dead (seems loads of these have water ingress issues) and yes I’ve always had the rubber cover closed.

So I’m after something tougher, and with replaceable batteries. GPSMAP64st seems to be the chap to go for.

Any comments on this, are they any good on the bike? will they do the same TbyT nav as the edge?

Are they tougher and more waterproof?

Thanks

Andy

bol

My Edge 705 has been waterproof for over 5 years. Not sure any of the others are better proofed. Looks like you were unlucky.

bluebird
    Free Member

The Edge 800 is rated to IPX7. If its failed due to water ingress on a rainy ride then it’s a warranty job.

timba
    Free Member

I’d return it, Garmin say that these are “waterproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7” (immersion in 1m water for 30 mins)

I like the Etrex30, same IPX7 waterproofing as the 64st, and cheaper

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I wash my Oregon under the tap. It does hr and cadence and has a large enough screen to usefully display maps.

It is quite big on the handlebars.

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve seen a 3 or 4 Edges fail due to use in prolonged, heavy rain. Wouldn’t rely on one myself for navigation in the wilds.

I use a Dakota on the bike and on canoe/kayak trips. It’s survived capsizing, getting left submerged in the bottom of the boat, -35C on the Iditarod. Pretty robust.

Bruce

I have used a Garmin GPS 62 for a few years it has spent a lot of time riding in the rain in Scotland and has even been sea kayaking. I have never had any issues with waterproofness other than when I blasted it with my dirt worker and then it only had a small amount of condensation on the display and dried out without ill effects.

The handlebar mount is not that great and mine did become detached on a down hill but only suffered minor case damage. I now attach the unit to the handlebars with a length of cord so if it comes off the bracket it doesn’t hit the ground.

I am really happy with my gps62 and use it a lot.

KZP894
    Free Member

I have a Dakota 20. It’s great and I use it for paddling/ walking etc. Over time the slot on the back where it goes onto the bike mount has worn and now I have to tape it on which is a bit of a pain. The 1:50K OS maps can be slow in updating if you pan / zoom but it’s not a great issue. It does not have the fitness features that the Edge has, but using normal AA batteries is a real plus for multi day excursions. Might be worth looking at the new Oregon 600.

andyfb78
    Free Member

Thanks folks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPSmap64/oregon? My Edge it appears is not rain proof’ is closed to new replies.