Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin GPS – or map and compass .
  • Mooly
    Free Member

So looking around and it seems that you can pick up a Garmin 800 with full UK OS maps for about £300.
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good purchase or if there is anything else out there worth considering.
    I like the idea of just setting off on bike rides and always having a get out interims of getting back to the car park.
    I find getting the map out a bit annoying all the time.
    Thoughts please.

druidh
    Free Member

Both.

GPS is easy to follow. Gives an easy view of upcoming turns. Can be used to traceback if necessary.

Map and compass don’t run out of battery or break when you go arse over tit.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Both

leffeboy

Both or at least a compass as well and pay attention to where you are. I broke my gps during a trip once 🙁

Edit:

when you go arse over tit.

that was it

Mooly
    Free Member

Are the displays on the 800 big enough and easy enough to use?

druidh
    Free Member

If you don’t need so much “bike-specific” stuff, then consider the Dakota 20 or one of the Etrex models.

FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn’t advise getting one of the Garmin bike computers for actual navigating off-road, they’re great for following a pre-plotted route and just about OK for figuring out where you are if you get lost on the road but IME they’re pants for off-road on-the-fly navigation as the screens are too small. Not sure if the Satmap’s work better for this sort of thing or whether another Garmin model would fit the bill.

KonaTC

Both – unless its raining then GPS only 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

This is worth a look:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oregon-450-with-full-country-p155099

They also beat any price by 10%, and I’m pretty sure you could find it cheaper elsewhere…

Rubber_Buccaneer

GPS is brilliant for following a pre planned route, map in the pack just in case. Paper maps are still my favourite for route planning too.

leffeboy

Or plan on a computer and upload it, but there is still something nice about the size and scale of a real map

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Mooley – never rely soley on the GPS especially if you are somewhere remote where getting lost could be serious. I have numerous GPS units (admittedly not with maps) and I always use maps with Endomondo as a rough back up (good for orientation if you get a bit lost especailly in woods where there are no landmarks). I don’t mind stopping to check the map, it’s all part of the fun and generally I could do with a rest. There was another thread on this topic just a few days ago, a £20 subscription to OS Getamap and a printer and you can print A4 maps/route cards, stick them in a plastic bag and you are sorted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPS – or map and compass .’ is closed to new replies.