Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin FIT fille question – finding exact time at location
  • krixmeister

Hi there-

Due to problem dibbing in/out at one point in yesterday’s Tour de Ben Nevis, my overall time hasn’t been registered. Organizers have kindly said if I can send the exact time of day of my passing the point, backed up by Garmin file, they will update their system.

I’m not sure how to get the exact time of day at a location – I’ve uploaded to Strava, and it doesn’t seem to show time of day info for any particular point – it just shows time within ride. I’ve tried similar with Golden Cheetah and Ascent on the Mac, and can’t figure out there. Any ideas?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Doesn’t it show you your time in Strava fly past?

drofluf
    Free Member

Strava also shows your start time so if you add that to the time into the ride that you were at that point that will give you the time that you were there.

Then it’s a matter of looking at the file in a text editor for that time, taking the lat/long to show that you were there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    krixmeister

Strava doesn’t show time of day, and I needed to give a fairly exact TOD for evidence. @drofluf – I tried opening the FIT files in various Mac text editors but they show as garbage. I presume FIT files are binary of some form, unlike GPX/TCX? Or am I just a retard?

In any case I did finally just figure it out, using Mac version of Ascent, I found the window called “Detailed Activity Data”, which does have TOD info. Compared Mac Ascent’s map to Strava, and found the info. A real pain, but it was my fault for not dibbing/dabbing (what is correct term) properly.

njee20
    Free Member

Find from Strava the exact distance at that point. Open the file in a text editor (you may find an XML Editor easier – I use First Object). Find the relevant track point, it’ll consist of a load of tags starting with time of day.

Edit it to suit 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

You can do this in Garmin BaseCamp. Just import the FIT file, then check the track properties window for the point you want.

Yes, FIT is a binary format, so opening it a text editor won’t work. If you want to do this, you would have to convert it to GPX or TCX first. You can export from Strava as a GPX file.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin FIT fille question – finding exact time at location’ is closed to new replies.