Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Garmin Fenix 3 problem?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If I’m out on a ride and then stop for a bit (usually to wait for a mate to turn up at a prearranged location) and pause the activity tracking, I always seem to have issues resuming the activity. Pressing the button resumes, but it doesn’t seem to register GPS activity. The timer resumes, but speed/distance doesn’t. I have to stop the activity and start a new one to get GPS back.

Anyone else experience this? I’m on the latest firmware.

mysterymove
    Free Member

not experienced this – but will try this evening to see if i can replicate it.

My main issue is accidentally pressing buttons whilst out anyone know if there is there a key lock anywhere?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Yup. That bug was introduced in SW 3.6. Somewhat annoying and hard to believe they missed that in testing. Oh no wait, why did I assume they do any testing? They clearly don’t.

Nice hardware and overall a good product let down by poor software quality.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, glad it’s not just me then. A massively annoying bug!!

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Totally unacceptable that software is being released in that state in this day and age. There are many software engineering tools and processes that prevent basic functionality being broken between software releases.

It’s a £400 watch they have a duty to provide premium software along with one of their premium products.

julians
    Free Member

Firmware v3.8 is out now that supposedly fixes this bug.

rob2
    Free Member

Yes mine did that after updating to 3.6.

The battery now also drains a lot faster. Beforehand it was great!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Updating to 3.8 now

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A quick test suggests it’s fixed in 3.80

OCB
    Free Member

This broke in the 3.6 release, today’s 3.8 release is to restore this functionality.

F3 Change Log

It’s still a bit early to see if it breaks something else as a consequence tho’.

😉

tymbian
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting one…should I or avoid?

rob2
    Free Member

Tymbian – I have found mine very good so far. Good for running, cycling and just day to day wear. But and its a big but, unlike the fenix 2 you can’t load a background map on to it. So whilst you can load a course on and follow it you don’t have a map.

That is only available on the epix. That was a bit of a let down for me, but if you dont need a map it’s lush. I do still use mine to navigate but it’s that much harder without a map – even a simple one.

jon_n
    Free Member

mysterymove – press and hold the power button (top left) and you should get the option of a key lock on newer firmware…

tymbian
    Free Member

I’m not really interested in the ability to have a map on the screen. I’d like to be able to record a ride and then upload the data when home. Also if I’m out in the wilderness somewhere I’d like to call up the coordinates to see where I’m at in conjunction with an os map. Is it possible to call up the coordinates on the fenix 3?

julians
    Free Member

Yes its possible to get rhe lat and long for your current position.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

OK, proper test of resume done yesterday and it now works fine. Watch went into a few odd modes and. Think it may have restarted as well whilst I was milling about at race for life for 90 mins. Upon resuming the ride, picked up where it left off with no issues

mysterymove
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on the new lock feature. Really useful no more accidentally adding 100 splits or stopping activity!

Should you buy one?
    I’m loving mine, so much better than the Polar it replaced. However after using a Polar for years I got used the to polar web stats – struggling somewhat to see fitness gains / training overload on the Garmin Connect web site. Need more time to play i think…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

One thing I have noticed on the F3 is that it didn’t match my Edge for average speed. Finally realised that this is because Auto Pause is set to ‘on’ on the Edge, but is defaulted to ‘off’ on the F3. I know bleedin’ obvious init!

Anyway, whilst turning it on, noticed another setting ‘Auto Climb’. Anybody know exactly what this is and whether it’s worth turning on? I’d always assumed that as I start climbing, it logs the elevation changes and it certainly appears to do so

aikon
    Free Member

Autoclimb detects the climbing rate & changes the activity screen displayed, I’ve set this to screen 5 which shows Ascent, Grade, Elevation & total Ascent, once you’re done climbing it switches back to the screen you specify, in my case, screen 1. I’ve kept the climbing rate at the preset, 1800ft/hr I think.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Fenix 3 problem?’ is closed to new replies.