• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Robz.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin Fenix 3 HR for cycling
  • DT78
    Free Member

Morning. Need a new watch and tempted by a Fenix so I don’t have to use the 1000 for commuting and work day training rides. Anyone use it for cycling is the HR accurate without a chest strap?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I can’t help with the hr part but I used the fenix 3 for riding with a hr strap and it was faultess. Recorded rides and uploaded very quickly.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I use the Fenix 3 for triathlon and I works superbly for biking and running, really convenient, but I don’t have the HR version. I always recommend DC Rainmaker (Review) for a complete review. He is pretty thorough!

Matt

Flaperon

Forerunner 735XT might be a better bet, I found the Fenix 3 started to hurt my wrist after about 30 minutes or so on a bike.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the review, looks pretty good. Weakness seems to be off-road / variable stuff, but most of my weekday training is road. I’ll just remember to take the strap for other sessions.

bruneep

I use the FR 325, not heavy on the wrist. Not sure how accurate the HR is as I’ve nothing to compare it against.

curto80
    Free Member

Garmin wrist based HR tech knows when you’re exercising and not exercising. What it tells you beyond that is highly dubious.

curto80
    Free Member

Fenix 3 is great though

philstone

Agreed re weight. After a few runs in the Alps it ended up in my bag! Having done some hunting around, I think I’ll be selling my F3 and getting a 735XT soon.

breninbeener

I have a Garmin Forerunner 920XT which is the same internals i believe. I have the quick release mount to move it from strap to bats easily. Been really good for me, but looks more of a gadget than a watch….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use mine for most things, but not big days in the Alps, as its is big – the strap needs to be tight to stop it wobbling around, but it hurts if you are smashing runs out all day. I’ve reverted back to just using my phone in my pocket.

Where it does win is back at home, it does everything I want, commuting to work, mtb in the local woods, lunchtime runs etc. Really good bit of kit 🙂

drslow
    Free Member

Great watch, running seems to give an accurate HR, biking doesn’t for me. I think its maybe wrist position but always seems far lower than what i think I’m at.

jam-bo

Garmin 235. It’s a lot lighter than the fenix and I barely notice it. HR seems fine to me but then I don’t look that close.

Robz
    Free Member

I’ve got an Fenix 3 HR and it’s great. No issues with the fit, comfort or accuracy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Fenix 3 HR for cycling’ is closed to new replies.