Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin Fenix 3 – anyone got one – good/bad experience?
  • Atomizer

My Garmin Forerunner 610 battery is shot so looking to upgrade – Fenix 3 looks interesting.
    Any thought from users?
    It looks very chunky, so not as a work watch (current Garmin won’t fit under my shirt cuffs) but weekend and run/bike/walk use only.
    Cheers

jezzep

Hiya,

Yes have had one for two months. In general really good and no main issues with it. Initially I found it quirky to use but now love it and the interface. Battery charge in general is lasting 2 weeks no problem.

I do have to say in general at the moment I’m mainly using it as a GPS watch and not using Ant+ sensors with it as all my sensors are bluetooth smart and I haven’t invested in a heart rate bridge sensor. In general though the watch is great for walking and activity tracking the first versions of software had some issues and I did have a problem that one of them stopped GPS but after a full reset I got it all working again.

I love the alarm and music control and the bike function is fine but without the sensors at the moment I’m missing information on my training session, but I do get this through my Cateye smart anyway….

Br
    JeZ

aviemoron
    Free Member

Hi, I don’t think I’ve posted anything on STW in about 10 years! But I do own a Fenix 3 and am very happy with it. I initially bought it for mtb / hill running, but I like the size of the display so much (old eyes) that I wear it all the time now – rugged enough for my outdoor wrists. All functions work fine, the link to my iPhone I thought I’d never use, but actually find notifications on my wrist quite handy. Battery lasts ages, even with GPS use, accuracy spot on for my needs, no hang ups yet, software updates do come in fairly regular and I always make sure to install them.
    I have a few apps on it and find them quite useful.

Atomizer

Thanks both – useful feedback

Cheers

kbomb
    Free Member

I nearly bought one, but saw that there was lots of talk about accuracy on the Garmin forum (more whinging that STW, possibly), so I held off. They might have fixed it now though, might be worth some googling first, if accuracy is important to you.

ciron
    Free Member

Have a look at the Suunto Ambit. I have the 3 Peak and it’s excellent. Have previously used Garmins and the GPS on the Suunto is significantly better.

It looks a bit more ‘sport’ but not overly. And was performing much better than the Fenix others had when I ran an Ultra last month.

bensales
    Free Member

I like mine. With the software updates it’s getting better all the time. No issues currently that I encounter. Accuracy is on par with my old 610 on the same routes, which is good enough.

Waterproofing is fine, been swimming a lot with it, and the swim metrics are remarkably good, as is the ability to use it on a treadmill without a footpad. It gets pace and distance pretty damn close.

Screen is clear and easy to read, and crucially, not a stupid touch screen. Buttons are good size to be able to push without looking at them.

In fact, the only niggle I have with it, is you can’t start a new lap whilst it’s paused. I used to do this in interval training sessions. On my 610, I would do the interval, then stop it during the rest, but start a new lap whilst paused, so the next interval would be on the new lap. Each interval would have it’s own lap then. Can’t do that with the Fenix 3 so both interval and rest periods have a lap and I leave it running. But it’s only a niggle.

I’ve not tried the cycling stuff as I have an 810 but I’m sure it’ll be fine. And I were mine day-to-day, even with a suit and double cuff shirts. It just sits outside the cuff. Looks great on a Nato strap too.

Atomizer

Garmin do seem to be dealing with the GPS issues reading the forums and I like the idea of the different watch faces. Will check out the Suunto reviews though.

MrPottatoHead

Love mine, especially for running. On the bike I do find it a little uncomfortable over rough ground but maybe could wear it a little tighter.

Have used it with Ant+ devices and found no issues running with heart-rate, cadence, speed sensor and power when on the rollers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Fenix 3 – anyone got one – good/bad experience?’ is closed to new replies.