Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garmin experiences
  • willjones
    Free Member

I’ll plop for the 800 if the consensus here is that the maps have opened up a world of new rides. I live in Leeds, know a fair amount of stuff locally so maps not a necessity in the immediate vicinity. Do 500 owners regret not going for the 800? Do 800 owners think it’s overkill? Did having the maps encourage you to upload new routes/explore a bit more? Whaddya reckon?
    ETA: MTB only.

big_scot_nanny

yes, I have used it to follow new routes, and it was retry good at that.

iI have also found it very good for riding a previously ridden, tracked, but unfamiliar route for a second time with a larger group and not wanting to miss the good single track descent. using the previous track as route guidance is excellent.

I do not use any of the training features, or HR monitor things etc, so is overkill from that point of view. and I have been exclusively using open street map files, which also have an offload trail equivalent which is retry good (thought still haven’t found a way to get contour lines effectively onto the maps).

HTH.

willjones
    Free Member

Thanks BSN, useful insight. So in your eyes, is the OS map package an extravagance?

Anyone else able to share views/thoughts on this?

Thank you!

cp

800 with OS package is one of the best cycling purchases I have ever made. Just brilliant.

njee20
    Free Member

If you don’t want any of the bike specific functions I’d look at one of the other lines; the Dakota and the Montana (IIRC) are better for mapping and what not with bigger, clearer screens etc. Also use AA batteries (if you view that as an advantage).

willjones
    Free Member

Thanks guys. This is looking expensive 🙂 Njee – I’ll look into those, ta, but I fear bike functions are too important to me. AA batteries a huge plus though, didn’t think of that.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a 500 and a 705 – for off-road stuff you really need either a 705 or 800 (500 works fine following a route on-road). However even a 705/800 is only good for navigating a route you’ve uploaded to it, they are pants for just heading out somewhere making it up as you go along or if you get lost. If you want something for that then the Satmap Active 10 looks a better bet, although I’ve not actually used one…
    Kind of like a GoPro camera really, if you’re prepared to put the work in (editing videos/plotting routes) they’re brilliant. If you’re lazy they just end up being a bit of a waste of money.

creamegg
    Free Member

Love the 800 now I’ve learnt how to use it properly. Not that it’s that hard anyway but once you customise the display, map etc it’s a lot better. I use mine with Garmin Basecamp, does everything I need it to.

jonba
    Free Member

One of the best things I’ve bought for my bike!

Use the mapping features all the time.

New road and offroad routes planned by me
    New routes downloaded from others, magazines etc.
    Occasionally as a satnav when I want to get from A-B but don’t know the way. Not so good for on the fly navigation as you only have a small screen so can’t see the big picture.
    I use it to record rides with friends when they are showing me around so that I can then go back and use the map.
    Used it walking too.

I use the bike functions quite a bit too, both racing and training.

Route planning can take a while but it beats drawing on an os map. Loads of good sites on the web to help you plan a route.

hugor
    Free Member

I use my 800 to follow new routes all the time using the map page.
    It’s also saved my bacon loads of times when for various reasons I’ve had to terminate a route and head straight to my car.
    It can be used when you get lost and I consider it essential for remote riding providing you also have back up maps.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m pleased I bought my 800 with OS maps.

It’s easy to follow routes I have downloaded or planned on PC.
    Interesting (to me) to record every ride, even ones I don’t need navigation on.
    In the winter it’s handy with HRM and cadence sensor on the turbo.
    I can use it for walks too.

A total extravagance for me as I was perfectly capable of using maps etc but it makes life so much easier I’d be reluctant to give it up.

willjones
    Free Member

For once I love this place – thanks guys! Rubber_Buccaneer – I think it’s the extravagance of it that’s made me pause, I actually enjoy reading maps… but not stopping on the bike to do so.

Hugor – safety element didn’t even cross my mind, thanks.

CraigW
    Free Member

Thanks guys. This is looking expensive Njee – I’ll look into those, ta, but I fear bike functions are too important to me. AA batteries a huge plus though, didn’t think of that.

What sort of bike functions do you actually want?
    Something like the Etrex 30 or Dakota 20 can probably do most of it. They will work with a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor if you add them. Though they are lacking some of the features for interval training.

willjones
    Free Member

What sort of bike functions do you actually want?

Good point. OK, deliberately not looking at the etrex or dakota first so as not to sway my views… Distance travelled/remaining, Current speed, avg speed, elevation, total climbed, gradient (nice to have), stealing/uploading routes, the DIGITAL FRIEND THAT YOU CAN CHASE WITHOUT GETTING ARRESTED, and the auto lap thingy sound quite cool too.

Now I’ll go and investigate and see if I can save a couple of hundred quid!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also have an 800 and I have been using nearly all of the functions on it. I bought mine with a road map of Europe so off road it’s a bit hit and miss to find new stuff but following previous routes it works fine. I have tried using it to navigate new places on the fly and as has been said it doesn’t work very well for that. My biggest gripe being that if you want to pull back the scale of the map you lose all the detail so for instance if you see a road and wonder where it goes you pull back to get a better over view and the road disappears as it isn’t an A road. I like the training functions and use the racing against yourself feature a lot. Overall a top piece of kit.

hugor
    Free Member

For me the “navigate back to start function” has been the savior many times.
    I don’t explore with it but follow predetermined and loaded routes on it.
    I love all the fitness data it generates and uploading the rides to all the cycling websites..
    I don’t use the virtual partner anymore as it used to stress me out and detract from my ride. If you’re into pushing yourself to the max all the time then it’s very useful.

CHB

willjones, I live in leeds too and have an 800 with maps.
    You are welcome to have a borrow on a you break it you bought it basis.
    I am in South Leeds.

CraigW
    Free Member

Good point. OK, deliberately not looking at the etrex or dakota first so as not to sway my views… Distance travelled/remaining, Current speed, avg speed, elevation, total climbed, gradient (nice to have), stealing/uploading routes, the DIGITAL FRIEND THAT YOU CAN CHASE WITHOUT GETTING ARRESTED, and the auto lap thingy sound quite cool too.

The Etrex/Dakota etc will do most of that, except it doesn’t have the digital friend to chase. And it doesn’t really do laps. There is a basic stopwatch, but you have to manually start / stop / press the lap button.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

First ride with my 800 tomorrow and hoping it makes the 605 look like a commodore 64. 🙂

big_scot_nanny

Hi Willjones, sorry, missed the responses to the post.

To your question – no, I would do not think an extravagance, OS mapping the UK is jsut so good it would be daft to get it without.

I live in CH, and need maps for France, CH, DE and IT frequently so it would be a) hideously expensive for me, and b) all EU maps are a pile of shit compared to OS.

Go forth and purchse!

Kev

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Garmin experiences’ is closed to new replies.