Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Garmin Etrex10 pre purchase thoughts
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Marko

Except thats not correct, and OS have a disclaimer telling you as much.

Granted, but that’s just the get out of jail free card for the OS.

Most people believe the rights of way net work is legally correct and that’s what counts.
    One old git moaned to us that:
    ‘I didn’t take out a mortgage like Mrs Thatcher told us to do to buy my own house and land for you lot to ride over’.
    Showed him the map and off he went – still moaning though.

Marko

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Another for Etrex 20 and OSM. I have OS-like routable and contoured full UK and full France on my micro SD card.

dknwhy

Garmin are about to release an Etrex 30x with better screen and more internal memory. May be an idea to wait a couple of weeks and either bag the new model or get more off the older etrex.

hora
    Free Member

I can wait a week or so to pick up the old. Had a play on one in the shop tonight.

It reminded me of mobile phones from 5-10yrs ago 😆 😀

vincienup
    Free Member

Dakota 20 instead.

Colour touch screen, expandable via micro SD cards.

Free mapping from talkie toaster. I use the cheap Garmin bar mount and loop the lanyard on the bar in case although it’s shown no inclination to cone loose at Whinlatter, Guisborough or the Dark Peak (Beast etc) yet.

hora
    Free Member

Difference its meant to be handheld?

vincienup
    Free Member

So is the Etrex…

Works just fine for me and was a much better buy than the Etrex 30 at the time.

I started out looking at Etrex 10’s, then looked at 20’s for the expandability. Finally went for the Dakota for spec/price on the go outdoors deal.

If you check my thread history there’s a couple of lengthy pro/con debates.

There are times I wish it was an Edge 800 which so far as I can see is much easier to drive as a rider but it’s also three-four times the price and I’m thinking that handheld/Walker oriented GPS is more relevant to mtb than Roadbike oriented stuff like the Edge series. If you’re looking at Etrexes you’ve probably made the same decision.

The talky toaster maps have yet to throw me a curve on the NY Moors or Dark Peak.

butcher

You’ll only get a breadcrumb trail on the Etrex 10. Useful, but not anywhere near as good as the 20.

The 20 and 30 will come with a basemap installed, which are pretty useless. Go OSM….or OS if you’re feeling flush.

flange
    Free Member

Seriously, if you’re fearful of the faff why not just get an 800 or 810? Mines ace, works both for roads and off road and has turn by turn directions.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Etrex10 pre purchase thoughts’ is closed to new replies.