Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin Etrex 30 users – please help
  • cinnamon_girl

Recently bought an Etrex 30 and it’s proving to be a little different compared to my Etrex Legend. Would appreciate any help with the following:

Is it possible to just have the compass telling me when I’m heading N, S, E or W?

Does it automatically record a route, if not how?

Uploading route from gps to PC – how?

Many thanks. 🙂

whisky711
    Free Member

As I remember you can change the compass in the settings menu to just show N,E,S,W.

If switched on the Etrex will automatically record your track but it will be inaccurate unless you reset the time/distance/distance climbed etc first.

To upload the route use the Garmin Basecamp software and attach the Etrex to the pc/laptop via usb/micro usb cable.

There’s a good website here which helps with menu settings, etc –

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

whisky711
    Free Member

Just fired mine up. To change the compass go to:

Setup > Heading > Display > Directional Letters

I know the Etrex models don’t come with a manual in the box so have a butchers at this:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrex_10-20-30_OM_EN.pdf

cinnamon_girl

Thanks whisky, had found the online manual but not the answers! I exported a Tracklogs route, went off piste for some of it then rejoined the route but can’t find it in the Garmin, only the proper route.
    Managed to change the compass letters so that’s good.

The Legend automatically records the route, you don’t need to tell it to. Also, the Legend screen is a fair bit bigger than the 30.

Will check out that link and thanks again for your help. 🙂

bigjim

I have an etrex 20 and it automatically records the route. I changed the settings so it records a point every 3 seconds rather than set to auto. To upload to strava I just connect by usb and upload the Current.gpx file from the device. I clear the route using the track manager each ride rather than use basecamp software to extract routes of each ride, it is pretty crappy software.

nuke

^ what bigjim said…just plug it into pc and go to garmin\gps\current to find the current.gpx file. I don’t bother deleting as by the next day they just get archived to garmin\gps\archive

whisky711
    Free Member

No problem CG. When I finish a route I go to Track Manager > Current Track > Save and then name it or just save as the default ride date.

Then I upload the track to Basecamp and save it into ‘My Collection’ and then you can take it off the Etrex. Not had mine long either and still learning about tracks and routes and waypoints, etc!

cinnamon_girl

whisky – another q for you! How do I check on battery life?

whisky711
    Free Member

A quick press of the on/off button on the right hand side. This also shows how strong the gps signal is. And there is also a setting for the type of battery you are using, ie lithium/alkaline/rechargeable so the battery indicator is accurate. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

That’s great, cheers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Etrex 30 users – please help’ is closed to new replies.