Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Garmin, etc, how useful these days?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Or is it just a nice gadget?

I have a very old Etrex Legend and used it to find routes when I first started mountain biking, to ride routes in the Peaks, Wales etc.

It was pretty useful to be fair as I wasn’t fit enough to keep up with clubs but at least I could ride the great unknown and not get too lost.

It was ok but the actual trail it was following would sometimes be hard to decipher eg at a turning (is it this or is it that questions…) and it was pretty slow, scrolling through maps or navigation menu.

Have things moved on a bit since the legend? The ones I was playing with in Halfords seemed very nice indeed….

Rorschach
    Free Member

I use this exclusively on all my rides now.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

😀

SOAP
    Free Member

The OS mapping on the 800 is brilliant!

woody21
    Free Member

Soap – I’m thinking of getting an 800 or a 600; did you compare the two?

towzer

moved from extrex legend to satmap, and although I find the online map helps I still carry a paper 50,000 and still use it (as I find the satmap screen too small to get full context) – to ‘load’ my head – r after 2kish next to stream, then 2 L on rupp uphill with house on L towards trees sort of stuff ….. as well as us the extra context that the larger area gives you. With the etrex I used to put the turn on the ‘route’ a tiny bit before the actual turn so I was kind of looking for the turn. Ultimately I’m glad I got the satmap as I use the paper map a bit less now but I only bought it when I saw a mega deal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Garmin, etc, how useful these days?’ is closed to new replies.