Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Garmin Edge Touring has developed issues…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Bit disappointed as this was going nicely although i understand that at least one of my issues is reasonably common.

Software is 4.1, map is the standard openstreetmap item as supplied.

Twice this week it’s turned itself off about ten mins into a ride. The first time I thought it might have been my mistake (forgot to start it or something) The second time (this evening) I know it was recording when it shut down, and indeed I find afterwards there is a recorded route. I was not navigating or following a route when this happened, simply recording. Lengthy satellite reacquisition after restart indicates a full and ungraceful shutdown.

Checked settings and automatic reroute has turned itself on and off route notification is on. It turns out that it doesn’t want to allow me to turn automatic reroute off or even set it to prompt now – it’s essentially jammed on. I understand from other threads that this setting is the root of most evil in this device and the two together equal certain unpredictable behaviour, but I’ve never heard of it jamming like this before.

I’m considering a factory reset. I was wondering if anyone knew before I press this button though… If I do this will I be in for the seriously slow multi-gig reinstall from scratch?

crazy-legs

Can’t help with the factory reset but mine has done similar a number of times – shut down while following a route, randomly reset the route recalculation from off to auto.

It’s a bug-ridden piece of shit, I just don’t trust it to stay on, to accurately record a route or to accurately navigate me round a pre-plotted course. Most of the time, no matter what the settings at the start, it’ll give up half way round, tell me there’s a route calculation error and simply turn the navigation off.

I’m also reluctant to factory reset it as the last time I did that (on a previous Garmin) it completely crashed the unit.
    Phoned Garmin, they acted all surprised but you could tell from their conversation that it was nothing new to them as they replaced it immediately.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve factory reset mine quite a few times with no problems. And for what its worth, I run mine with software v2.7. I’ve tried all the newer software, but prefer that one for my use, I like to have turn by turn directions and off course warnings.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Rolled back to 2.7 based on this thread… hope it does the trick…

houndlegs
    Free Member

theflatboy, any better?

jonba
    Free Member

Delete any old routes and activities and do a factory reset. It isn’t the end of the world. On the 800 it just loads for a few minutes then everything is fine. Does it without connecting to a computer.

theflatboy
    Free Member

It actually was a lot better, yep – first time for about four months with no “Route Calculation Error” within metres of setting off, and actually turn-by-turn directions worked for the whole route, which is also pretty rare! So yep, will be sticking with 2.7 for now, great suggestion. 😀

crazy-legs

Mine gave up doing turn-by-turn directions mid-route at the weekend. To be fair, I think it was the weather, it started off very wet. It was doing OK for the first 10 miles and then rather than doing a countdown of a few tens of metres to the turn, it flagged up a turn in 4726ft. Like over a mile.

Tried the “tap to go back” and then after that it just showed the correct map with my correct location but the text at the top saying “dirt path to [location]”. Even when I’d gone way past that location.

Recorded the whole route OK and I could navigate by looking at the purple line but it wasn’t right.

theflatboy
    Free Member

It doesn’t need to be raining for mine to behave like that (or worse) 😆

simmy
    Free Member

How do you go back to 2.7 ?

theflatboy
    Free Member

From here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-know-how-to-roll-back-garmin-software

Download the firmware version you want here: http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/
    Rename the file as gupdate.gcd, then copy it into the Garmin folder on the Edge.
    Then unplug it from the computer, and switch it on, and it should install that firmware.

Worked fine for mine the other day, pretty quick and painless.

simmy
    Free Member

Cheers might give it a try. Mines not been too bad since I worked out that red on the internal ” switches ” means on 😳

smiffy

I’ve had pretty much the same issues with an Edge 1000, does anyone know if the same fixes apply?

I’ve had;
    turning itself off
    won’t turn on
    stuck half turned off
    navigation frozen
    no route to save

crazy-legs

Download the firmware version you want here: http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/
    Rename the file as gupdate.gcd, then copy it into the Garmin folder on the Edge.
    Then unplug it from the computer, and switch it on, and it should install that firmware.

Done all that, turned it on and it’s still on Version 4.10 with seemingly no way of forcing it to install the Version 2.9 I’ve just downloaded. Might try the factory reset option, see if that triggers it.

Yesterday’s ride was a nightmare, it kept trying to re-route even though I was on the correct pre-plotted route then eventually stopped doing turn-by-turn and the text got stuck on “continue on Monsal Trail” although I’d left that 30 miles previously.
    Then it crashed completely and on re-starting, all the display info had defaulted to original settings.

It did, by some miracle, actually save the complete ride as one file in spite of the crash but on a route that I half knew and half didn’t know, it was immensely frustrating to be knowing the unit was wrong on lots of the early (known) section and then not being able to trust it on the later, unknown section.

EDIT: just forced it to re-install the older software. Garmin seems confused by this!

crazy-legs

Latest update in the whole sorry saga.
    After two serious problems with it over Christmas while Festive 500-ing (one complete shutdown while mid-route, the other a route calculation error apparently due to being a whole 20m away from the main road on a marked cyclepath) I complained to Garmin who sent an email back with factory reset and a link to some reboot software.

Back on the latest software version now and it took about 4hrs updating maps earlier. Not actually used it for any navigation yet and it’s taken me another hour to go through all the set-up but I’ll give it another go this weekend.

molgrips
    Free Member

When the TBT gets stuck or it simply says ‘go north’ then tap the top to see the list of turns. It probably says you’re 6,000km away from your next turn.

I get round that by turning it off then back on again – all your nav and your recorded route will still be there – click the home button to get off the ‘save/discard’ page.

petec
    Free Member

reading all this makes me glad i got a wahoo.

never had any issues and so easy to change the screens

gonetothehills
    Free Member

My recently acquired 810 is either freezing mid ride, or turning itself off – both whilst recording rides. I’ve tried two different OSM maps, thinking that might be the issue and this evening after it crashed about a mile into the ride, took the SD card out and restarted it. The remainder of the ride recorded ok, but I’ve got no confidence in it right now and am not prepared to use the crappy preloaded maps. I’ll try the rollback of firmware but has anyone any additional advice?

crazy-legs

Back on the latest software version now and it took about 4hrs updating maps earlier. Not actually used it for any navigation yet and it’s taken me another hour to go through all the set-up but I’ll give it another go this weekend.

Update from the above, yesterday was the first time I managed to use it since the update and once again it crashed mid-route.

Garmin have offered a replacement for £76.49 as it’s more than 12 months old.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

crazy-legs – are you using OSM maps? I’ve been in touch with Garmin’s tech support team, done the while reboot thing but still crashing mid ride when just recording, let alone navigating. Next step is to try it without maps to see if that’s an issue…

crazy-legs

crazy-legs – are you using OSM maps? I’ve been in touch with Garmin’s tech support team, done the while reboot thing but still crashing mid ride when just recording, let alone navigating. Next step is to try it without maps to see if that’s an issue…

It’s Garmin’s own mapping on the SD card.
    Did an 80 mile ride on Saturday which I’ve only just got round to uploading and over half of it is missing from where the stupid thing crashed yet again just after a turn. Normally a restart and taking ages for it to find satellites again gets it going but this has completely missed the last 45 miles. Really not impressed, whatever unit they send me needs to be significantly better than this pile of shit.

Problem is that as the market leaders, they can pretty much afford to be crap. 🙁

I just wish that someone would sort out a unit that does top quality navigation & re-routing without attempting to be clever with power and HR and cadence and other assorted shite. Can’t be that difficult, in-car sat navs seem to manage OK without crashing every journey!

I’m returning this one tomorrow so I’ll see what they send back.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge Touring has developed issues…’ is closed to new replies.