Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin Edge Touring
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

So this looks as though it’s the only one left in the Garmin range that hasn’t been superseded, should imagine it is due to be pensioned off soon.

I understand it doesn’t use Glonass and just GPS. How bigger deal breaker is this? From my experience of using a GPS only phone, I have lost the GPS signal many times out in the wilds, would have thought it is less of problem with a dual device.

What’s your experience?

mikedabear
    Free Member

I haven’t ever lost GPS signal on my touring. It even picks up the signal indoors when I turn it on before a ride unlike my old Tom Tom.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, it works fine. Can be a bit slow to get a lock if you start in city centre streets with taller building,s but maybe takes 90 secs max.
    Never lost signal out in the forests or anything

craig24
    Free Member

Mine can struggle inside a building but once outside within 60 seconds its fine and never loses signal while riding.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, had one for the last 2 years.
    As others have said, it can be a bit slow to get a satellite lock but mine has never dropped a signal whilst I’ve been out.

Battery life is good – have done 8 hours+ with decent batter life remaining.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve found if you turn it back on in the same location as where you turned it off, it picks up almost immediately. If you’ve moved to a new location it can take a minute or two.

The routing/navigation is pretty poor, so I generally only use it for recording now.

therevokid
    Free Member

once setup to do turn by turn (properly) the navigation is as good
    as any of the previous Edge units.
    Can usually get 8+ out of mine, more if you don’t have it showing
    the maps pages all the time.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

So not so bad then.

The newer versions of the mid to high end stuff seem to use both GPS and Glonass, seems the best solution. Let’s see if these older units get reduced in the new year.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine’s fine.

It’s idiosyncratic though. Use google to search for a thread on here, I posted up a string of tricks and tips on how to get the most from it.

leffeboy

Glonass is nice for accuracy but it does reduce battery life a bit. Just depends if you want to do epics or several hours out in the woods

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They really don’t like being moved before they have a lock. Turn it on while you’re faffing about rather than when you start riding.

Once it knows where it is its fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge Touring’ is closed to new replies.