Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • garmin edge question
  • burko73

So, after dropping my iphone and breaking the screen this morning fumbling to swipe the stop timer slider after my ride I am going to get on with a garmin edge purchase.

I can’t decide between the 510 and the 800.

Mainly for mtb but prob use on a cx gravel/ road bike in future for longer forays. Think if i’m spending on the 510 then it seems to make sense to be able to use maps and get a 800.

Not for serious racing/ training but for fitness use, and I like the idea of navigating on new routes without os maps.
    Any experiences/ suggestions?

andytherocketeer

Edge Touring (or Touring plus) is the one on my wishlist. At least for on-road use.
    Think some Edges also have a leash which could be handy to loop round bars. But most/many do not.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you’re not using HR, cadence or power data, the Edge Touring would be enough. The Edge 800 is good, I have one and am pretty happy with it

ransos
    Free Member

You can navigate on the 500/510 with a preloaded route – you have a breadcrumb trail to follow, or turn-by-turn directions if you’re on the road. Less useful for mtb I guess – proper maps would be handy if you want to go exploring.

butcher

I have an Edge 500, and whilst I do like it, It has a bug where the route keeps disappearing and it’s a right pain in the arse for navigating. You can normally get round it by zooming out, but then the trail shows so little detail it becomes impossible to navigate. Apparently it wasn’t always this way and was introduced with a firmware update.

I don’t know if the 510 suffers the same issue, but if navigation is a priority I’d look elsewhere.

ski99

You can get an 800 Trail (the discoverer OS map package) for £236 at Go Outdoors, but they’re collect only, and there only seems to be a few left in the stores. But, if you do get one from there, ring the store first to make sure they’ve got the actual unit in stock!

Their web price is £349, but they’ll price match, then deduct 10% of the with Wiggle, where the 800 is currently £262 (262-26=236 plus some pennies).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘garmin edge question’ is closed to new replies.