Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • garmin edge 800 vs satmap (mainly for navigation)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to buy a satmap for ages because

* I want to load up a load of road/mtb routes for riding/training
    * The OS capability is a def plus

I’ve now seen that garmin have the edge 800 which look the dogs b’lox

So in short, is the new edge 800 all that and have they sorted out the crappy mapping on previous versions?

primary tool for me is navigation. If it’s got the other training stuff as well then that’s a bonus

uplink
    Free Member

Nobody’s tried the 800 yet [normal people anyway] the mapping is the same as the Colorado/Dakota, so pretty good

ChrisI

From what I’ve seen its great. I couldnt wait and got an Oregon 550t which comes with the same OS maps but is rather chunky and rubbish for cycle features/training. I saw the Edge 800 at the Cycle Show and its perfect for most bikers tbh. Good combination of the previous Edge cycling specific and training features and the great OS maps from the Oregon/Dakota series.

Cant wait to get my Edge 800 when Wiggle get some stock 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

apart from This guy in the US 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Think i’m sold after seeing this review

review on roadcc

uplink
    Free Member

apart from This guy in the US

I doubt he’s used it with UK OS maps though

trickydisco
    Free Member

Looks like OS maps are on there. It’s a done deal for me 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ordered my 800 6 weeks ago and am trying not to get impatient – I have the 705 which is 3 years old now and still a great piece of kit but at the time nothing else came close but I really want OS mapping for MTB so I can’t wait to get it 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

where did you order from foxyrider?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Wiggle – platinum discount, £5 off voucher, topcashback and CC discounts (hopefully) 🙂 Should be £399 – should get it for £328 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

sorry another question.. did you go with the bundle deal?

CC discounts?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered how long touch screen units would last if you were to regularly ride them in muddy conditions. Anyone had any experience (either way) of this?

That was one of the clinching features of the Satmap for me – the screen cover can get scratched from repeatedly wiping away gritty mud with clumsy gloved fingers, but it doesn’t matter as its a replaceable part and doesn’t perform any control functions.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry credit card discount (1% cash back).

I got the OS 50K GB bundle as retail this is normally about £150 IIRC 🙂 And already had the HRM – got the new HRM and cadence sensor separately as works out cheaper as going to sell my 705 🙂

That was one of the clinching features of the Satmap for me – the screen cover can get scratched from repeatedly wiping away gritty mud with clumsy gloved fingers, but it doesn’t matter as its a replaceable part and doesn’t perform any control functions.

My only reservation however still has buttons for common on the move tasks like start stop etc 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive got a garmin dakota 20 with garmin gb discoverer os mapping for the north/midlands for sale if anyones interested 🙂

NigE5
    Free Member

Foxy,
    Is the OS 50k the whole of the UK, and have you put a screen cover on it.

Jonny5
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but would the 1:50k maps be detailed enough?If they are I’m getting the trail pack.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘garmin edge 800 vs satmap (mainly for navigation)’ is closed to new replies.