Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin Edge
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Can a Garmin Edge (510 probably) be used without connecting to a computer? If a computer is required (for uplading routes etc) does software need to be downloaded or will it work from a website? I ask because I use a work laptop which won’t let me download software and it seems a bit much buying a laptop just to use with a Garmin!

shortcut

No updates map downloads etc. you can do Garmin connect uploads via Bluetooth to phone the link to strava though.

mrchrispy

should be able to manage without the PC. you can plan courses in the webby and use your phone to push them over to you 510

I think you’ll probably need a computer to do something like change the maps to use openstreetmap

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks both, I can be cheeky and downlad the software onto my Mums laptop and use that occassionally as long as I can use my phone or ipad for day-to-day stuff 🙂

tthew

For uploading to Strava and downloading routes, just plug it into your laptop and use it as a flash drive. That’s how I do it with my Edge 200 on my Chromebook.

Use the Upload File option on Stava rather than Garmin upload in one direction.
    Drag/drop GPX files into the New tracks (?? might be called something else) rather than Routes folder on the garmin in the other direction. It generates a route from that when you switch it on.

mrchrispy

much easier than that.
    the 510 will sync directly to your phone and straight into garmin.connect, connect then syncs with strava. i haven’t done a manual sync in ages!

mrchrispy

slight correction – its the 810 I have 🙂
    but im sure the 510 does the Bluetooth thing (and openstreetmap isnt something to worry about if using the 510)

whitestone
    Free Member

As @tthew says the device will appear in Explorer/Finder as a flash drive usually called “Garmin”. On the device is a folder again called “Garmin”, open this up and you are at the level where you can start to see things.

Rides that you record are stored in “Activities” (could be runs as well as rides) and you can just copy these on to your machine and then upload them in to Strava or whatever from file rather than “from device”.

To copy routes to follow on to the device then copy the file (you can only do one at once unless the firmware has been updated) to “New Files”. When you restart the device it will validate it then copy it to the “Courses” folder.

tthew

Thanks for all the corrections Whitestone. 😀

FWIW I don’t bother with the

just copy these on to your machine and then upload them in to Strava

I just upload straight from the flash device. Unless you have a reason for long-term storage on your PC of course.

whitestone
    Free Member

I do the copy to my machine then I’ve got a local copy of them “just in case”. I might forget my Strava password or delete my account or similar. Just a bit of peace of mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge’ is closed to new replies.