Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin Edge 605 GPS – opinions….
  • tootallpaul

Afternoon,

As a result of deciding to trim my bike fleet down, I have some spare cash so I’ve decided to treat myself.

I’m interested in chopping in my etrex and edge 205 and picking up a 605 to replace both. I use the edge as a glorified multi-bike computer, and the etrex for uploading routes and navigation.

I really like the training centre element of the 205- the uploading and storing of all your rides is really good.

Now, I’ve not had much luck exporting routes from tracklogs into the 205- is the 605 better? I use the etrex all the time for similar with no issues, bar the 125 trackpoint limit.

Anything else I should think about?

One of the important requirements for me is worldwide use- not necessarily at a topo/os level, just for touring type riding. I think that rules out the Satmap 10.

I’ve discounted the 705 as I don’t need HRM/Powertap funtionality.

Cheers all…

Paul

RepacK
    Free Member

Im personally not a big fan of Garmins Edge series – Ive had 2 305’s they have both played up unreasonably..If it was me I would keep yr Etrex (good solid bit of kit) & look at some of Suunto’s watches instead. They do have HRM functions (which may not be what you want I know) but in my experience are more reliable than Garmins Edge series. Plus with say a Suunto T6 you can use it run with as well – but to get the most out of it you do need to buy the GPS pod (which is what Im doing).

ps I also have a 60csx for mapping which is v good but pricey.

tootallpaul

Not really into the watch idea- tried it with a Polar, and it didn’t work for me…

Rip
    Free Member

I have a 305 and it is superb. Works great with Tracklogs and Memory Map. EDIT: and I should add that I’ve used it for the TransRockies and riding on the mainland (Europe).

Being a gadget nut I was planning to upgraded to the Edge 605/705 but there’s little advantage over the 305 for me.

The biggest disappointment is the maps. If your used to using OS maps then from what I’ve seen so far the 605/705 will leave you wanting more.

For following pre-planned routes I find the 305 to be superb and junked my Etrex as I was no longer using it.

I also have the Memory Map adventurer 7000 which is superb for OS maps if you’re walking but not so good for MTB, IMO.

So, based on that, I’d stick with the 205 in your position.

Dasha
    Free Member

I’ve got the edge 705 and now the bugs have been worked out its fine. You can use it with trackslog, but you need v3.13 which is a beta version; basically a work in progress. I’ve had no problems with tracklog or the edge and in unison they’ll hopefully get me around the HONC.

CraigW
    Free Member

If you don’t need HRM features, I would say get a new eTrex instead, eg the Legend HCx.
    Its what I’ve got, and its fine as a “bike computer”, and for following routes etc.
    The Edge is not great for touring, because its got a built in battery, plus limited memory for recording tracks etc.
    You can use the Etrex with Garmin Training Center if you want (though I would recommend SportTracks instead).

tootallpaul

Ta Guys…

I will check out sporttracks- looks great.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 605 GPS – opinions….’ is closed to new replies.