Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin Edge 520 issues
  • flaps
    Free Member

I’ve had it a week now, I got it so I could create maps online and follow them when out. The lack of full sat nav didn’t bother me as I always have my phone with me for that if necessary.

I like the Bluetooth connectivity for updates, reading texts etc and also like the Strava Live segments (although these will stop I think when Premium runs out).

I don’t like losing sections of the route I’ve made when it copies across or getting told I’m off route when I know I’m not or the stats being 25% different on elevation and 1 mile in distance over 21 miles compared to my mates who were out at the same time.

I think it’s a bit shit to be honest as it doesn’t work as well as expected or do much more than my phone does, so might take it back tomorrow, I’m just unsure if I should go refund or exchange for an 820.

Anyone else had any issues?

downhillfast
    Free Member

I rather like my 520.
    Have you updated the Base map with the Openstreet mapping? (The standard Garmin mapping is sh*te).

flaps
    Free Member

I haven’t, no. think I’ve seen a web link to a foreign site to allow it though? Does that mess up the warranty? Any other functionality added?

slackboy

I like my 520 but the storage capacity is frustrating. There is only about 100mb free for maps so can only download portions of the openstreet map. The 820 has more storage so you could get full uk map on there

I’d be tempted to change for that reason alone

hubamonster
    Free Member

Just to note the Garmin Fenix maps work on the 520, so you can cover a much larger area, I have all of central england on mine. Just create the fenix map and rename it gmapbmap.img, is 64mb

Think you can turn the off course warnings off. I just copy gpx accross, never had any issues with accuracy or losing segments

flaps
    Free Member

Got a refund. While I really liked the Strava Live sections i’m not sure i’ll renew when the trial runs out so then they wouldn’t work anyway, that would leave me with a piece of hardware that cost £200 that just tells me the speed and other data just like the free Stava app does on my phone. Having fallen out with the navigation i’m not convinced I would have had more joy with different maps on, so took it back while I still could.
    I might look in to the Elemnt.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sound like the 520 rubbish, it’ll never sell.

geologist
    Free Member

There are issues with altitude not being correct , especially when it’s raining and the little pressure window fills up. Just make sure you use the correct elevation feature on Strava. Other than that I love my 520. It’ is intended to be more for competitive type riding more than general touring and map following.

Legoman
    Free Member

Anyone else having problems with their units dropping satellite connections every few minutes?

Mines been doing this since the last software update

wilburt
    Free Member

I don’t have any location issues or any of the problems the OP mentioned and largely really like the device.

But..the connectivity by USB is really f**** dreadful.

flaps
    Free Member

Just to update the thread, I ordered a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt today, £199. Should come later this week.

stevious

Just got my Elemnt Bolt on Friday and have done a couple of rides with it. Haven’t used the navifation features yet but the rest of the user experience is better than Garmin ever was so far. The idea that you use your super-awesome multi-touch smartphone screen to do all the complicated stuff on it is great, and the connectivity seems way better than the Edge 810 it replaced.

Duggan

I bought an 820, it’s shit and I’ll never buy garmin again.

flaps
    Free Member

Just to conclude…

After returning the 520 I saw the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt for the same price so ordered one of those and it arrived on Thursday. I’ve used it twice since.

It’s come with world wide maps pre-installed (I’ll never need them!) and they are detailed enough to show the dirt tracks though through local farmer’s fields which is handy for the kind of exploring I like to do.

The unit is light but feels a little more flimsy than the 520, the mount wasn’t as wide either as the one that came with the 520 so it won’t fit on my bars, i’ve had to zip tie it on (which I originally though was crap but i’ve been able to still move it whilst out on the rail which has been helpful).

The screen is black and white rather than colour but is shows clearly even in sun light.

I’ve put a map on and it’s been spot on. It connects to wi-fi (unlike the 520) and also to my phone via bluetooth so maps I make are quickly updated on there and it shows calls, texts and updates routes as soon as I finish the ride too.

I was considering the Edge 820 but this looks to do everything that does but it’s cheaper and doesn’t have the dodgy touch screen (lots of reported issues online).

So far i’m happy 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 520 issues’ is closed to new replies.