Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • garmin edge 500 vs 510
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

got a BIIIIG scratch across the screen of my 500 and the premium HR strap has now packed up so considering getting a 510 performance pack.

anyone used a 500 and gone to a 510? Was it worthwhile or not?

Freester

Can’t comment on your question but get yourself a Polar strap for 14 quid on the Fleabay. The Garmin transmitter will clip on and work with the Polar strap.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

that’s a good option! but also doesn’t help increase the PoSSF* 🙁

*Purchasing of Shiny Stuff Factor

schmiken

Would you sell the scratched 500?

c_klein87

had both, 510 is leaps ahead of 510 for normal use, touch screen is sometimes frustrating but least the course doesn’t disappear for no reason at all, bluetooth upload is also brilliant, saves the usb connection

deadkenny
    Free Member

Main enhancement for me was Glonass + GPS satellite support which gives you a very quick fix and claims of better accuracy in trees. The fix is quick, but the accuracy is no better than my phone in my experience.

Bluetooth is the other major feature. It never works for me. Plenty of others on the Garmin forums say the same. I can pair anything to my phone no problem except the 510.

Yeah has touch display. Not really fussed with that, and I do find I have to press the screen a couple of times or harder to ensure it registers the touch and the touch resolution is low so it sometimes resisters a press on the wrong place. No biggy really though. I’m glad it has an option to lock the screen if you place it in a bag, as I tend to do.

I’d consider the 800 also. Lacks the new features, but same price as the 510 and has maps.

Performance pack I got in a deal though personally I don’t really track performance as I don’t race or do any road. I don’t bother with the HR strap now as it’s nothing but curiosity for me. Cadence is of no interest to me off road. Speed sensor is of use, although for Strava use it’s more accurate than GPS speed but tends to place you slower than others purely because it’s accurately tracking the actual ground covered not location distance. The pack comes with the combined speed and cadence sensor and I find it can get knocked about easy off road. I’m thinking of swapping it for the magnetless speed sensor that attached to the hub.

stevious

I just upgraded from a 500 to the 810. I much prefer using a touchscreen to fiddling the buttons with gloves on. I’m also surprised at how much I like the uploading via bluetooth thing – it just removes one tiny chore from the post-ride ritual.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

polar strap ordered, £240 saved!

maybe i’ll pop the 510 on the birthday list…

TiRed

By contrast, I have a 500 and an 810 and much prefer the form factor of the 500. A 510 with mapping would be a good compromise size-wise. Where the 510 wins out over the 500 is in bike and activity profiles, this allows easy swapping between multiple bikes. Touch screen is OK, but then I set the 500 screens up very carefully in the first place.

Bluetooth isn’t available for my phone.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

found a 50% discount code through my health insurance so bought the 510 anyway!!

schmiken, will be selling the 500 if you’re still interested….

slowjo
    Free Member

Extending the range of this a bit further (sorry) are there significant enough advantages from an 800 or 810 over a 705?

My 705 is fine but the screen is a bit mullered now. I could persuade myself to upgrade if there is a significant enough performance differential but there again, if I could get a new screen then maybe I’d stick with the 705.

Superficial
    Free Member

By contrast, I have a 500 and an 810 and much prefer the form factor of the 500.

Sure, but the 510 closer in size to the 810 than the 500. I’ve never handled a 500 but they’re quite a bit smaller than both I believe.

Left to right: Edge 800, 810, 510, 500.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

That’s not a 1000 it’s a 800

Superficial
    Free Member

Ahem. What?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Left to right

800, 810, 510, 500

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Nice ninja edit there superficial!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘garmin edge 500 vs 510’ is closed to new replies.