Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • garmin edge 500 ratings and is there any decent competition against it
  • karnali
    Free Member

thinking of one of these to use accro all my bikes, how do peoplrate them, is there a good alternative to them

ta

Rip
    Free Member

I rate the 305 very highly and was going to update to the 500 until the 800 was announced, so now I'll hang on.

I think they're excellent for off road track following. You'll need to create a track in something like Memory Map.

If you want to see a map too, then it's not for you.

The one drawback for me, though minor, is that it doesn't log the distance you've done on each bike, just total distance across all bikes.

traildog
    Free Member

I have a 500 and think it's brilliant. It's more of a training aid than navigational aid, but as such it's great. You can program whatever intervals in you like, based on speed, heart rate, cadence or power. I use mine a lot for reviewing my route and ride data afterwards. It's good for pacing yourself as well though, telling you how far off you are on your pace. I can race myself on my commute, which can make it fell less repetitive.

I have used it a few times to follow a route and it's good for that, but getting lost is not something I do that often. I don't think the 'normal' navigational gps I have used will ever replace a map for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

is that it doesn't log the distance you've done on each bike

Hold down mode for a few seconds, select bike 1,2,3 ?

305 user here as well.

+ can be used on all bikes
    + upload/download to PC for analysis, not explored the usefulness of this yet, but you can see stuff like on that 3 hour ride you felt fine for the first 2 hours then bonked, infact you'd been tailing off from 90min in so next time you know the signs to look out for before you bonk.

– not very accurate, its lucky to position you within 150ft unless your out on a moor or somewhere equaly un tree covered. I've a 20yr old magellen GPS, about the size and weight of a house brick but fixes much more accurately.
    – as part of the above, the speed it shows is pointless off road, especialy on really tight singletrack you can go round a few corners before it picks up the next signal and registers that you've moved.
    -buttons get clogged with grit, but its easy to wash out
    -speed/cadence sensor is another £40
    -it would be cheeper to buy speed/cadence computers for all my bikes and a HRM.

I'd buy another if it broke, but for 90% of my riding (Swinley) its fairly pointless, on the road or on big epic rides in the Peaks, moors etc I imagine its prefect as most of my gripes are with its use with MTB's on singletrack.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dakota 450, great at navigation duites with OS maps and has enough training aids as well (cadence, power meter etc).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘garmin edge 500 ratings and is there any decent competition against it’ is closed to new replies.