Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Edge 500 – Display options.
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve just recently bought an edge 500. You can set it up for 3 different bikes, which I have done. However I assumed you could set up the display settings for each bike.

Ie on the turbo I want cadence, HR, elapsed time.

On the MTB or road bike I would want different fields.

When I tried selecting different ones yesterday it appeared to change the settings for all bikes and not just the bike currently selected. Is that how it is or am I doing some thing wrong?

TiRed

You can’t.

I have three windows
    1) Main – 8 displays speed/dist/time/time of day/pww3/pwr30/cadence/HR
    2) Average – 8 displays average of above
    3) Training/turbo 5 displays Pwr 3s (big)/pwr 10s/pwr30/cadence/lap time

I found having too many windows to scroll through was more distracting.

I use a 200 for off roading and a 500 for road and turbo.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ta that’s a bit crap for a piece of equipment that costs £200.. Oh well

IanMunro
    Free Member

I imagine, though nice, it opens a large can of worms UI wise.
    There’s probably a lot more people who do want the same layout for each bike, and would be mighty pissed off if they had to go and configure the displays for each bike, and even more pissed off when they make a change on one bike then realise they have to do it on the others. So then you’d need some synch method, some method to select what to sync, and in which direction. It all becomes quite complicated quite quickly. Though I completely understand your frustration you have!

xanboy
    Free Member

The new 810 and 510 have that feature. They also pair with different heart rate monitors and speed cadence sensors for each bike. A 500 will only pair with one set at a time, so if you have 2 bikes with speed cadence sensors you may have to pair them every time you change bikes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Crap research before buying a 200 pound piece of equipment…..

TiRed

A 500 will only pair with one set at a time

Not so.

The bike profiles on the 500 are useful. The 500 stores the ANT+ IDs of each sensor under each profile.So the cadence sensor on my fixed wheel (why bother?) is automatically detected when that profile is used, and the same for my road and race bikes. The only issue is power and HR monitors that are stored above the bike profile level, so I have to detect the PowerCal and Stages separately.

I can’t see why anyone wants more than a 200 off road unless you need maps.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

The 510 will only pair with one HR sender won’t it? Not that it matters, zero point in having a different HR monitor for diff bikes. You can select different “bike” senders though. Data screens are the same for all bikes, but you can have different displays for different activities. I’ve got 3 activities set, road-mtb-train, mtb one has very little on it at all, road….well I’m still getting to grips with what I actually want to see and train just has 4 things on it for when I’m on the rollers.

Kryton57

FunkyDunc – Member
    Ta that’s a bit crap for a piece of equipment that costs £200.. Oh well

I dunno, how many changeable screen configurations can your TV at home show you?

benji
    Free Member

But you can have upto eight pages of selected data, just toggle between the screens till you show the data you require, set a screen up per bike. Have used a 500 for almost a year now, and no issues what so ever with it, has been on five different bikes, just change the bike on strava when I upload, that then keeps track of mileage per bike.

TiRed

zero point in having a different HR monitor for diff bikes

In theory you are correct. But I have a normal Garmin HR monitor for my nice road bike, which also has a Stages Power meter. For the race bike and commuting, I use a PowerCal HR monitor that also sends estimated power via a separate ANT channel (and it is surprisingly good too). So I do switch HR and power a bit, and this is done at the system level not the bike profile level.

It’s not the end of the world.

I did find that scrolling through more than three screens was annoying, so condensed everything onto two. (plus an average).

Solo
    Free Member

Crap research before buying a 200 pound piece of equipment…..

Guilty as charged 🙁

I’ve a 305 edge. I use it for the course function. I set the course display to show HR and cadence. Stupidly I supposed that being similarly priced to the 305 I bought. That the 500 would allow me to select the two fields I prefer to display when following a course. Silly me, as yet, I’ve found no way of altering the two fields I want displayed while I use the course setting. When I called Garmin, they couldn’t offer a solution. Piss poor really. You spend 200 quid and you can’t even configure the display, FFS !

Yay for Garmin.

NOT !.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

To be fair, I reckon at best they are a poor product. Mine has been back once 3 months old and noted last night that it had been shipped with the old software meaning it was dropping data packets constantly, updated it and it seemed ok today but it’s hard to tell on the road sometimes as you’re not looking at it anywhere near as much etc.

Ya, I’ve got two screens I use while riding on the road but I’m still playing, only have HR showing on the XC bike. I’ve got both set with a little overview of crap you might discuss at a piss/cafe stop though but never look at ’em while riding.

Do you have yours set to auto scroll?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 500 – Display options.’ is closed to new replies.