Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin edge 25 questions…
  • flowmtbguy
    Free Member

So yesterday I followed a GPX route I downloaded to my phone (using viewranger) – it was a pretty hard to navigate route with barely a few KM going by without a change of direction or turn off – which meant getting my phone out of my pocket all ride long. It also managed to drain my iphone battery pretty quickly.

Anyway.. was looking at getting something like the edge 25 and following the breadcrumb trail on that – with a phone / an actual map as backup if something goes wrong.

Anyone use one like that?

I see you can link it to your phone to upload routes to garmin connect – does it work the other way around as well? Can I get a garmin connect route on my phone over to the device without needing to plug it into my computer?

How does it work out where there’s a ‘turn’ coming up – as opposed to just the trail turning?

What’s the easiest way to get a GPX file onto it to follow?

ta!

tthew

I use the breadcrumb trail feature on my 200, and it’s plenty effective enough, though as you already appreciate you need a proper map as back up. I’d suggest not a phone for that, if you are having confusion with the Garmin and a flat phone battery, you’re pretty much knackered.

Anyway, you just ride along, matching the general shape of the trail with the breadcrumb on the screen. It automatically zooms in and out to a sensible scale. When you get to a definite deviation it’s fairly clear which track to take, and if you get it wrong it doesn’t take long to chirp at you to let you know. Saves loads of getting out of map/phone.

Can’t comment on the methods to load tracks onto the 25, different mechanism I think.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Breadcrumbs trail are easy to follow, have used it plenty of times with good success.

The garmin won’t accept gpx files on fit files, there are plenty of 3 party software options out there that painlessly concert the file.

No way that I’m aware of to get courses/map’s onto the device without the use of a computer.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I recently bought one of these in the hope of using it for basic off road ‘course’ following like my old edge 205 did and then promptly 🙁 returned it as I could find no way of getting working GPX files that ‘I’ created onto it,it just deleted any added to it.I think Garmin must of crippled this feature as it is as simple as drag and drop and auto convert in my friends more expensive units .

tthew

I think Garmin must of crippled this feature as it is as simple as drag and drop and auto convert in my friends more expensive units .

That’s a retrograde step, as that’s exactly the process to get files onto the 200, including gpx’s.

The 200 is a cracking little unit OP. There are 2 small features missing, but I don’t think the 25 does them either.
    – no time display when riding.
    – no way to display an OS grid reference.
    Get a 200, they’re still available, unless you really want the HRM and wireless connection functions.

core

The 25 will display time of day while recording if you scroll down.

shindiggy
    Free Member

And as I mentioned earlier, GPX files must be converted to FIT files before the Edge 25 will accept them.

You can drag and drop FIT files with no problem.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

I loaded (as a fit file) an off road route onto my edge 25 the other week. the geography of the area was such that there were many variations on available tracks. I found it extremely difficult to stay on track. I couldn’t see a way to zoom in or out.
    I would have thought following a road ride would have been much easier.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

cheers for the advice…

So for a garmin unit, if you can load up a FIT or GPX file to the unit you can follow the route no probs.. but getting it on there via an iPhone isn’t an option.

Merci.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin edge 25 questions…’ is closed to new replies.