Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin Edge 200 Navigation
  • aazlad
    Free Member

We’re spending the Xmas and New Year period at the outlaws. To combat the boredom I’ll be taking the road bike and I plan to ride some long routes in Herefordshire/Black Mountains area.

Last time I did this I spent half the time stopping to check my phone for directions so this time I will be going armed with an Edge 200.

I know the 200 is a basic unit but I know you can create a ‘Course’ with online route planning software such as the Strava route planner (which I have done) and upload the tcx file to the Edge for navigation.

I tested it on the commute this morning and although the Course is there as a black line on the display there are no left/right directions or distance countdown to turns. I’ve seen screenshots of this on the Edge 200 so it can be done.

It may be because the Strata route builder doesn’t produce waypoints at junctions but I’m not 100% sure.

Does anyone use an Edge for navigation and if so any hits/tips/recommendations for a route builder?

Thanks in advance.

frogstomp

I think the RideWithGPS website allows you to add turn indicators.

dknwhy

As above, Ride with GPS to add waypoints. I used my old Edge 305 to get me from London to Paris. Wasn’t perfect but it works.
    I’d suggest downloading Viewranger for your phone too and putting the route on there for any really dodgy junctions.

simon_g

Yep, they’re waypoints, some sites are clever enough to add them at junctions.

I’ve never bothered, if you go off course it’ll beep and mostly it’s obvious from the shape of the line where need to go.

medoramas
    Free Member

Yeah, RideWithGPS is a great tool for it! However in order to create routes with waypoints (so the Garmin beeps before every turn and shows you an arrow) you need to pay some small subscription fee for “premium” account.

Would Strava’s “Create Route” tool do the same thing?

Follow this guide

I’ve ridden plenty of times using my Edge 200 for navigation, some over 100km road rides and some new trails discovering. It works very good! Considering it is not a proper Sat Nav 8)

aazlad
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I knew there would be a way.

Medoramas – I’ve tried the strata route builder its great but no waypoint option as far as I can tell. The route builder itself works really well and you can use the global heatmap to highlight popular roads which is great when designing a route in an area you’re not familiar with.

Maybe we should setup a thread(s) to share route files.

acsevens

Use mine for navigation frequently. Takes a bit of getting used to but plenty good enough for road riding. I use gpsies.com for plotting routes, pretty user friendly.

richardthird

BikeHike?

ETA
    Upload and download of routes to and from GPS units (GPX, TCX, KML and TRL formats).
    Upload & download directly to a Garmin GPS unit using the Garmin Communicator Plugin.
    Add coursepoints to aid navigation

aazlad
    Free Member

Well I created a tcx of my commute in in Bike Hike added directions and it worked a treat. Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 200 Navigation’ is closed to new replies.