Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin Edge 1000 massive FAIL
  • gee
    Free Member

Went for a ride, got a bit muddy but by no means excessive, usual sort of thing. Few splashes.

The start and lap buttons on my week-old Garmin Edge 1000 are now so full of grit they don’t move and so it’s useless.

Utter design junk. Avoid.

GB

gee
    Free Member

For comparison – this was bought to replace an 8-year old Forerunner 405 that has been absolutely battered and still works perfectly.

gazman428
    Free Member

Strange. Mine has been used and abused for about 3 miles over more than a year!!
    Send it back!
    Although I do use a full rubber cover (like for a phone on mine and a screen protector)
    Mine has been covered in shite and soaked in some god awful weather.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s odd. I’ve had mine since October and used it in all sorts of weather and conditions and it’s still perfect.

Have you tried speaking to Garmin before ranting?

njee20
    Free Member

Also had no problems with mine in shitty conditions. Wash under the tap after really shitty rides, been fine. I’m blame the user 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Had to warranty an 800 because of that, replacement has been used in appalling conditions but has been fine, luck I think

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had this with my 200 years ago

I Just popped the buttons off cleaned and put back together.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No probs with my 810 either and I’ve taken it out in conditions Noah would have taken a look out of the window and though “nahhh”

mashiehood
    Free Member

No problems with my 1000 either, just debating whether I can be bothered to get it, bike and me cold and muddy this morning!

gee
    Free Member

I will be sending it back and no doubt they’ll replace it as its a week old and Garmin do have a good reputation for warranty issues, but that’s not really the point. It’s stupid the lap and start buttons aren’t under rubberised covers like the on/off one is.

gee
    Free Member

Update – gave it a rinse as Nick suggested and now it’s fine… Was a bit worried about washing a little electrical gizmo.

I’m going to helitape over the buttons then put it in a rubber case as above – hopefully this will cure the issue.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Yeh my mates did the same yesterday 1st ride out.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I got one second hand and it failed after about 2 weeks. Called Garmin, explained that I bought it from Gumtree but they replaced it with a new one in 2 days. Great service

gazman428
    Free Member

Gee. I haven’t got tape over the buttons. Just the screen and a genuine garmin rubber protector which covers the buttons

charlierevell
    Free Member

Known software glitch with the buttons too… My lap button works but doesn’t flag up on the screen and the start/stop gave up this morning until I switched it on and off then it was fine.

doglover
    Free Member

Original 800’s had an issue with grit getting inbetween the glass gap, if you tried to get the grit out you could easily crack the screen. After mine was replaced under warranty I covered it in gorilla screen protector plus rubber case, been fine since 2011.

dobo
    Free Member

my 705 has been bomb proof over the years. They dont make em like they used to.

stumpy01

The ‘page/menu’ button on my Edge 500 is intermittent at best.
    It’s a software thing because a hard reset sorts it for a few months and then it comes back. Or sometimes it doesn’t cure it. Or sometimes it cures it but only for a week or so.

I originally assumed it was a mechanical issue with the switch, but the bloke I spoke to at Garmin reckoned a software reset would work.

The Garmin Connect website is rubbish, and if I load a route on the device from their it doesn’t work. The breadcrumb trail appears and disappears at will, which isn’t much help on routes I haven’t ridden before.
    I have to use gpsies.com and that seems to work flawlessly.
    The strava website is easier to upload rides to as well.
    Seems other people can interact with Garmin devices better than Garmin can…

I’d love to replace it with an alternative that isn’t a Garmin. Bryton look good, but perhaps not as feature rich and definitely not as widely available. Probably end up grudgingly getting and Edge 810.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 1000 massive FAIL’ is closed to new replies.