• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin Cadence Sensor Wheel Magnet
  • Netdonkey

I think I know the answer to this but to be sure. Is there anything fundamentally different about the magnet mounted on the rear wheel for a Garmin cadence sensor. Garmin want £8 which seams to include a couple of zip ties, but would a £3 cat eye magnet do as it is the only bit I am missing

trail_rat
    Free Member

garmin one is the same as the cateye 3 quid one IME of a box fresh garmin 500

are you sure the garmin one doesnt come with the crank magnet as the wheel magnet doesnt attach with zip ties but the flat profile crank magnet does.

julesf7
    Free Member

I use the £3 Cateye ones without a problem, go for it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Cateye one is fine for wheel magnet. I couldn’t bring myself to defile my cranks with the hideous crank magnet for the cadence. Got a packet of earth magnets for £6 of fleaby that fit onto the end of the pedal axle and work perfectly while being almost completely invisible, assuming you have steel pedal axles obviously.

Edit: 3mm x 12mm rare earth magnets just incase you are interested.

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 for the 3mm x 12mm magnets

Netdonkey

Thanks, cateye for the wheel it is, going to look at the 3 x 12 ones for the cranks too

Haze

Top tip from Highlander, I use these too….much neater.

kayak23

Sorry, do you mind if I step in?..

While we’re talking about turbos, can anyone tell me exactly what I need to run Trainer Road, hopefully by way of links?

I have the Turbo (Elite Mag)
    I have the bike (Bike)
    What now to do the minimum for Trainer Road?

One of these?

and one of these?

Is that all I need for a basic training setup?

Sorry to butt in OP…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Kayak, that’s pretty much it.

http://support.trainerroad.com/entries/20636866-What-s-the-minimum-hardware-setup-for-TrainerRoad-

You can check if VirtualPower works for your trainer on their site.

http://www.trainerroad.com/features/virtual-power

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much, decathlon do a cheeper ANT+ speed/cadence sensor, and the cheapest USB dongle I found was a garmin one off ebay.

And +1 for ebay magnets, no idea odf the physics, but they’re much stronger and smaller, just epoxied one to the back of the crank and one to a spoke.

kayak23

Hey thanks. Good shout on the Decathlon one.
    Just bought one. 🙂

Haze

Ant+ heart rate monitor may prove useful too, though not essential to get up and running.

njee20
    Free Member

A magnet is a magnet, you can use whatever you want.

+1 for Garmin ANT+ dongle on eBay, they are a lot bigger than the Suunto ones if that bothers you though.

DanW
    Free Member

I’d also second (or is it third?) sticking a small flat magnet to the crank rather than use the zip tie versions. You can also use another cateye wheel magnet and just snip off the thread if the ebay ones don’t take your fancy.

First, I put a small circle of heli-tape where the magnet would be stuck then used Araldite (pretty permanent glue) to glue the magnet on top of the heli-tape. Super secure attachment and no damage to the cranks. The was necessary on my frame due to where the magnet needed to be to line up with the cadence sensor.

Netdonkey

All,

Thanks for the advice, Kayak, no probe wit hthe hijack, hope you got your answer.

Njee, not sure ALL magnets are the same but thanks for the advice. I bought a cateye one from the LBS and it works for the wheel. will definitely be getting a magnet off ebay to replace the zip tie one this weekend.

Cheers

ND

Haze

Neodymium magnet on the pedal axle, super strong and doesn’t shift. Suppose it may be a PITA if you change/remove pedals often.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Cadence Sensor Wheel Magnet’ is closed to new replies.