• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garmin and Washing machine :(
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I just stuck mine through a quick 45 minute wash in my softshell pocket. Obviously I havent switched it on and it didn’t seem to be affected . Anyone done this and had one survive. ?

geoffj

I did it with a Garmin watch. I left it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days and it worked fine.
    Rice is also good for getting the moisture out. In a tub of rice in the airing cupboard for a couple of days may work.
    Good luck.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’d stick it in a tub of rice or an airing cupboard to try and dry it out before you switch it on.
    You never know, you might be lucky!

VanMan
    Free Member

My Garmin GPSMap 62s survived a trip in a river, admittedly it was only submerged for a couple of minutes, bike was nice and clean after it though 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

My 705 survived a wash cycle (and falling off the roof of the car at 60) 🙂

Was very surprised about the wash cycle survival as it only has (had) that little push-in rubber bung protecting the mini-usb port

tomd
    Free Member

My mate put his Edge 200 through the washing machine. It died. He sent it off to Garmin with a “just riding along and it broke” note, however they could obviously smell the bullcrap or Persil off the thing. Luckily they offer a more or less cost price replacement for breakages. So he got a new one with only a small idiot tax to pay.

creamegg
    Free Member

if it wont dry out Garmin will sell you a replacement at a discounted price. eg. Edge 800 around £80-£90 as tomd says above… idiot tax 😉

bob_summers

My 705 survived (as above, opened the case and left to dry in rice for a few days before attempting to turn on) but the battery doesn’t last as long. That could be coincidence though.

lucien

I did this on an Edge 500, put in airing cupboard, rice the whole 9 yards and it was completely borked – had to send it back and get a replacement.

ansdy

My edge200 survived a full cycle. There was some moisture behind the screen but a few days in a bag of rice sorted that.

legend
    Free Member

For those with less patience, in the oven at 60c for a while will sort it right out (just make sure no one turns it up to 180 to get their tea on!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

What they say above – rice / airing cupboard – leave it for a good while (a week ?) before switching it on. If it has a removable battery take that out.

I had a blackberry take a good bath in the sea, so salt water. It was switched on at the time so fused. Advice was to take it apart and wash it in tap water, then rice/airing cupboard for a week. It actually worked although keyboard was never quite the same.

The Garmin will have better waterproofing than a phone etc. There is hope.

stanfree
    Free Member

A wee update , I have no patience and had just cooked a Quiche so stuck in it in the oven after it had cooled down. The little rubbed bung was closed and no moisture behind the screen. Just plugged it in and uploaded my ride but the bad news is I got no KOM’s . 😀 Still dodged a bullit I think. Thanks for the advice.

geoffj

\o/

sandwicheater

I’ve lost a few (yes, a few) ipod nano’s and shuffles this way.

Glad it survived.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Washed mine a few times and it always worked straight away.

DanW
    Free Member

My washing machine destroyed an MP3 player but it wan’t so much the water damage that was a problem I don’t think but that the thing came out full of dents! No idea what was going on in the washing machine to dent seemingly solid feeling metal casing but there you go. If it looks to be in one piece then a bit a patience with drying should sort it hopefully.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Washed mine a few times

😯

TiRed

You can remove the face plates with a small Torx screwdriver. Underneath you will find a small rubber seal. I’m not surprised that it survived, they are very sell sealed. I switched my 500 and 200 cases because I liked the 200 case more and can read the icons better.

OCB
    Free Member

Which Garmin is it tho’?

Some are properly waterproof, so a trip through the washing machine (at low water temperature) isn’t going to (or shouldn’t) bother it. I use the [older] 76 series receivers, which are marine handhelds, so they’d be fine, as would stuff like the 60/62 series, and (hopefully) so would my 910, but by contrast the Nuvi in the truck would be done for.

Going in the airing cupboard for a good few days would be my tip too, and open up as many of the ‘natural’ openings ( 😯 )as you can too, stuff like the battery compartment / cover on SD card slot, that kinda thing …

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Garmin and Washing machine :(’ is closed to new replies.