• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jsync.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin advice please.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Edge 200 which has been fine but looking to get something with maps and a Heart rate monitor . I’m hoping to use C2W and looking for any advice on what to go for. I’m thinking either a Garmin Edge 810 or Halfords do a touring plus which has maps , Cadence and HRM for £249.99.

What’s yer views.?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m hoping to use C2W and looking for any advice on what to go for.

A bike. One to ride to work on. Not a nice gizmo.

The scheme is, after all, about Cycling to (2) Work. I do wish people would stop taking the piss out of it.

scotroutes

Check that they’ll let you buy one on C2W. the rules certainly forbade it for a while.

I’ve seen a lot of complaints around the Edge Touring – but maybe folk didn’t realise it’s limitations.

I prefer the Oregon. Bigger screen, runs off AA’s (so better for multi-day stuff). It will also link to a Garmin HRM/Cadence meter, though that feature isn’t widely promoted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnnystorm

Didn’t think the Touring did cadence, just hrm?

Dakota 20 is like the Oregon that Scotroutes recommended but a tad smaller. Again, does connect to hrm/cadence.

scotroutes

Aye – Dakota is a good call if you’re happy with the slightly smaller screen.

riddoch

I thought the touring models didn’t link to the sensors otherwise they are just the same as the edge units.
    You are allowed to buy accessories on C2W but they have to have a safety aspect if clothing, locks, lights and child seats. There is a definitive list on cyclescheme website.
    I am about to list my edge 800 when I get round to taking pictures if you are interested.

stanfree
    Free Member

Captain Flasheart you seem like a bundle of fun , my scheme actually has an accesorry package for those who have bikes so please refrain from getting your panties in a twist.

Scotroutes , yes the touring plus comes HRM , Cadence and a out front Garmin bike mount but the reviews are mixed.

I’ll have a wee look at the Dakota .

monkeyboyjc

As others have said you’ll need to check your c2w package as gps usually isn’t allowed where as other ‘accessories’ are.

Having said that, I’ve a touring and have no issues. The maps are good, although better with the full os maps.
    There are things I don’t like, it beeps at me too much, the off road navigation could be better, some of the features unique to the touring are pointless and don’t work very well etc etc…
    I went with the standard touring over the plus as I didn’t see the point of wanting a heart rate monitor compatibly, Barometric Altimeter of ANT+ as I wasn’t really that into fitness tracking when I bought it. Also i didn’t think the plus has a cadence capabilities??? It’s not listed any where I’ve seen? Or does the ANT+ function enable it to talk to the cadence sensor? If this is the case you’d be better off getting the 810 package as it comes with one and you won’t have to buy a hrm and cadence sensor on top.

Denis99
    Free Member

I bought the Touring bundle in Halfords in the last 7 days.

Doesn’t come with cadence though.

Can recommend it though. I just wanted an all round unit that would do a bit of everything for about £250.

convert

my scheme actually has an accesorry package for those who have bikes

Doubt it. I suspect it is possible to buy accessories with your bike but not instead of a bike. I also suspect you’ll find a gps doesn’t constitute a legitimate accessory. You never know though, you might find someone happy to help in a bit of mild tax avoidance for you.

scotroutes

Doubt it. I suspect it is possible to buy accessories with your bike but not instead of a bike. [/quote]Some schemes do allow accessories only.

riddoch

HRMC changed the rules in 2013 to allow accessories only so all schemes could allow it. When I first did it the tracking system that Evans used for vouchers only had the option of putting bikes in. This had implications for the final valuation as some things are views to have zero value after a year.
    http://road.cc/content/news/77000-cycle-work-scheme-guidance-allow-accessories-only-packages

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the clarification Riddoch , i’m sure the news will put Captain Flasheart’s mind at ease that I’m not trying to rinse the HMRC.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

We have a list of all the things which are and are not allowed on the scheme. Prohibited items include bike racks, computers amd gps.

riddoch

GPS and computers I can understand but why would racks be probited?

scotroutes

I assume that’s racks for mounting them on cars, not luggage racks for bikes.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

You can get maps for free if you’re reasonably computer smart

jsync

gypsumfantastic – does this work with the touring too?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin advice please.’ is closed to new replies.