Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin advice
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Mornings.
    I’m probably about to take the plunge on one of these critters.

Beating in mind my total imbecilic performances with all things tech, what is the best model to go for.

I’m crap at, inter device, sharing,downloading to PC etc stuff, so which model would you guys recommend?

Not really bothered about price, just want simple,future proof functionality.

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on your needs, I personally don’t need mapping or anything and just want stats so would stick to an Edge 25 or similar.

lunge

Depends on what you mean by “functionality”, the 25 or the 520 are the sweet spot for me at the moment. the 1000 is too much for me and the 20 is a bit basic.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

if you just want stats then just use the strava ap

free no cost

If you want to follow routes the 1000 is ideal

teef
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin Edge 200 which is excellent bit if kit but if I was to buy another I’d get one with maps – it would make following routes much easier.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing more mainland UK riding (after 40 years)in the future,so I’m assuming I’d be better off with maps?

I haven’t really got my head around the whole concept yet,but I don’t want to spend,say,150quid,then realize I need more stuff.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can get free OSM maps, different to the OS and Harveys but usable.

I’ve two GPSs: a Garmin 510 which has no mapping but is fine for road use and a Garmin Oregon which is what I use for bikepacking, ITTs and the like. The latter has OSM maps installed. I’ve only just got it so still getting my head around all the options etc

As for connecting things up: I installed Garmin Express and simply gave it permission for it and Strava talk to each other. I get home after a ride, plug in the unit, the ride uploads and a short while later gets zapped over to Strava. I then need to change the name of the ride from “Morning Ride” to something pithy

nickgti
    Free Member

I love my Garmin 1000 if you have the money get the 1000 is does everything and it’s not exactly heavy or anything. the mapping is great syncs with your wifi and phone it just works simply

trail_rat
    Free Member

the 1000 is massive imo takes up alot of bar space

How ever it is a good compromise if you only want one device and only one to do single day rides without charging.

Gives me flexibility on recording/training/mapping depending on what im doing as the 1000 meant i couldnt see my training data/speed without hiding map data – plus limited track points on long rides can cause crashes/loss of data.

Oh and thanks to second hand market – costs about 170 in total with cadence/hr

rickmeister

DC Rainmaker does excellent reviews of all of these.. worth a look.

chakaping
    Free Member

The 800 series is OK for following a preset route but it’s frustrating trying to use it to navigate on the fly.

If I lost mine I’d probably get another of them rather than the 1000 though – just ‘cos it does enough and I feel the small size makes it less vulnerable on the bars.

nickgti
    Free Member

that’s a much older 1000 in the photo is it not? or even a touring garmin?

trail_rat
    Free Member

its an etrex for nav and an edge 500 for training…. its what i went for instead of a 1000.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin advice’ is closed to new replies.