Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Garmin 920XT – triathlete's watch
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone got one?

Mrs Stoner has been using her Forerunner 405 for a few years now. It’s OK, but requires ANT stick to upload to garmin connect, and since we are now chromebook/chromebox only at home, she has to use her work computer to do so. It’s also really for running only.

Am I right in thinking that the 920XT is the only multi-sport one Garmin do with bluetooth so it can use your android device to upload to garmin connect?

Mrs Stoner has had an excellent year of competition and has qualified for the GB 45-49 Age Group team for the Euro Champs in Lisbon next year. This is to be her Xmas prezzie, are there any others I should be looking at?

alanf
    Free Member

Got one for the missus which funnily enough replaced a 405.
    Anyway she loves it – it’s slightly bigger, but weighs less. Uploads in seconds without the need for the ANT+ and finds the satellites in no time at all.
    She wanted it for the extra battery life over the other similar running watches.
    It’s mainly used for running too but also some cycling.
    She’s very happy with it.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers alan.

Now to track down the best deal online.

A bricks and mortar phone shop in Peterborough @ £260 is leading the way on eBay
    Handtec are at £270.
    Wiggle at £275
    CRC with 10% BC discount are £284
    Unfortunately the 25% Triathlon England discount on Garmin only applies from their own shop, so only taking it from £390 to £293.

alanf
    Free Member

Handtec was cheapest when I purchased (~£246 for red/white)
    Amazon often have a deal going on, so worth a look.
    What about quidco/TCB to sweeten the deal a bit?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hold on a sec

If the only reason to upgrade the 405 is its ant stick… there are other way to upload*

I upload my 910XT direct to garmin via my phone (Sony Z3) via an app called ST uploader…. costs about a fiver and works really well.

* I know you are a phone guru so hope I’m not telling how to suck eggs….. and IIRC… your phone might not have to have ant+ factory fitted to work with that ST Uploader app … ?

Sandwich

Stoner I think Sportpursuit has the 910 on their site recently. Still there at £169.99. I have a referral you can use if not all ready a member, mail in profile.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve got a 910XT – a lot of phones don’t have ANT+ – I specifically bought a Sony because it had it built in, and my choice of replacement phone is still dictated by that (maybe I should just upgrade the HRM?) – though it’s not that huge a hardship as the higher end Sonys and Samsungs now all have it, hence thinking about a Z1 compact. I’m fairly sure Stoner’s choice of phones doesn’t have it built in though.

I’d suggest running a W7 VM, which is how I uploaded mine for a while when my main machine was Linux, but not sure if there’s even any way of doing that with a Chromebook.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Money is no object because you luuuurrrrve her.

New HR Straps

Fenix 3

Normarl 920XT

620 with new HR

Buy them all and she will make you coco every night for life 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers all.

As aracer points out, I need something that can stand alone (I see the 920XT has a wifi chip as well, which is even more useful) or use BT. I cant rely on ANT+ for uploads.

The 910 would have been perfect if I could. I know it’s been on super-special-great offers lately as it’s “obsolete” with 920 wireless technology now out there.

Anyway, I went with Wiggle as I needed some bar tape 😉

PS I didnt realise they had put ANT on board some phones. That was new to me.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s been on various phones for quite a long time, hence https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iforpowell.android.ipbike&hl=en_GB written by a mate of mine (who occasionally posts on here I think).

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a 920xt and it does exactly what you want it to do. I upgraded from a 910xt the ANT+ upload was a royal pain in the bottom.

The 920 is a really nice bit of kit.

pjbarton
    Free Member

£300 with HRM at Wiggle although it’s a basic HRM I think

pjbarton
    Free Member

I think it’s fair to say ANT+ on phones won’t take off but bluetooth on watches will.
    920 has basic notifications which is a ‘nice to have’ bluetooth feature.
    Also the smartphone app is good now and makes for super easy uploading to Garmin Connect, which in turn seats to Strava in seconds.

It’s a good watch – very light weight too. Great charging clip although it won’t charge while using which is daft.

Only downside is it’s a bit plasticy!

Stoner
    Free Member

I think Im right to assume her current garmin HRM belt (for the 405) will work fine with the 920.

aracer
    Free Member

It still has ANT+ for accessories, so yes should be fine. Shame ANT+ never really took off – disappointing that Garmin never did an upload app in the way they seem to have for BT.

Stoner
    Free Member

Garmin have for too long been like bose.
    Resting on laurels from being the only reputable player in the game because the entry hurdles are high rather than their products are overwhelmingly brilliant.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Your 405 belt will not give you the running dynamics so you will miss some data.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/02/garmin-hrm-details.html

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – though there’s a lot of that sort of thing gone on in that market sector. I’ve had Polar and Suunto HRMs previously – Polar did even more laurel resting before Garmin cam and gave them a kick up the backside, and the software with the Suunto was so bad that it makes the Garmin stuff seem excellent.

geoffj

Garmin have for too long been like bose.
    Resting on laurels from being the only reputable player in the game because the entry hurdles are high rather than their products are overwhelmingly brilliant.

Not so much overwhelmingly brilliant, just significantly better than the competition. Garmin really do need to get their software shit together though.

IHN

In a slight hijack, I have a bnib 910xt available if anyone’s interested. Unwanted pressie for MrsIHN, just looking to recoup some cash for it…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Someone snap IHN’s hand off

Great bit of kit ….. especially if you have a ant+ phone. ( see here https://www.thisisant.com/business/opportunities/mobile … just scroll down the page a bit for the phone manufactors)

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I throws out the XT, along with the Fe I. And eventually settled on the Suunto Ambit 3. Superior quality, more reliable by far and better features for triathlon, particularly swimming (it can record HR whilst swimming, garmins cannot).

If you want a demo over a pint give me a shout 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Moe. Will bear in mind. Will see how she gets on with the XT on the lead up to the Euros. If it’s driving her nuts we’ll have to look at an alternative.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

If she got a Suunto now, then I think she would make the worlds in ’17, no pressure.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Traverse – from OutdoorGB with the HRM its cheaper that the traverse alone from Suunto.
    Will do all of the above AND do routes, tracking, upload your own screens, multisport, make your own apps or any one of hundreds that others have.
    Rate it over the 920 all day long.
    Loads of colour and strap options too, plus bike holder, etc.

durhambiker
    Free Member

IHN, how much you after? Might be interested. Had one a while back but sold it to cover some unexpected bills, and back in the market for one

Stoner
    Free Member

proof positive that Garmin really are a retarded, ball-sucking, outfit.

Yes, the 920XT does have WiFi capability, BUT, you need to install client software on your Mac or PC to be able to set up that wireless connectivity over a USB cable on to the device!

Which intellectually deficient tit at Garmin thought that was a bright idea? FFS, even my dumb**** £30 printer can search and connect to a WiFi AP on it’s own without a computer to hold it’s hand.

So I now need to borrow a family members laptop, bring it into the house, download software to it, plug in the watch, tell the watch which WiFi network it may use, and then remove the software before handing the laptop back again. What a balllache.

At least the bluetooth seems to manage to talk to the Android phone OK, so sync is possible via that until the WiFi system is sorted.

Surely, some company out there must have seen Garmin consistently churn out this hobbled junk and worked out how to do it better?

Garmin: Still resolutely stuck on the list of companies whose products one “has to buy” but always done it holding my nose to avoid the stink.

Mrs Stoner likes her xmas present though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 920XT – triathlete's watch’ is closed to new replies.